Job Title: Project Finance Officer
Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Funding Source: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Project Name: Promoting Integrated Landscape Management approach for conservation of the Mt Elgon Ecosystem in Eastern Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
Job Ref: PILM/ADV/EXT/01/2023
The National Environment Management Authority (hereinafter called “NEMA”) was established under the National Environment Act, Cap.153 in May 1995 and continued under the National Environment Act No.5 of 2019 as the principal agency for environment management in Uganda charged with regulating, supervising and coordinating all activities relating to the environment.
About UNEP Project:
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) has on behalf of Government of Uganda received financial support from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) through the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) for a project on “Promoting Integrated Landscape Management approach for conservation of the Mt Elgon Ecosystem in Eastern Uganda”.
The Goal of the project is to “enhance conservation of ecosystems that provide critical goods and services for rural livelihoods and food security in the Mt. Elgon landscape” while its objective is to “transition the Mt. Elgon landscape to a sustainable, biodiverse, climate-resilient, integrated landscape with efficient coffee and staple crops (maize, beans, banana and Irish potato) value chains.”
Job Summary: The Project Finance Officer will provide financial and administrative support to colleagues, clients and stakeholders of the project. Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Finance Officer, will develop budgets, monitor transactions, and prepare financial reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for providing general financial and administrative support to the project;
- Assist project management in performing budget cycle: planning, preparation, revisions, and budget execution;
- Support the Project Manager in the preparation of quarterly and annual work plans and budgets;
- Prepare accurate and timely quarterly and annual financial reports for activities undertaken as required;
- Work with the Project Manager to provide financial management support in project activities at central and site level;
- Maintain day-to-day management of financial operations of the project in accordance with established rules, regulations and relevant manuals;
- Management and monitoring of the project budget, maintaining all relevant records;
- Process payment requests to suppliers/vendors, advances to the responsible partners;
- Maintain project’s disbursement ledger and journal;
- Prepare accurate financial reports, including annual, quarterly and monthly disbursement reports and financial reports;
- Presentation of information on the status of financial resources as required;
- Provide full support to project evaluation, reviews and audit missions;
- Contribute to the preparation of progress reports;
- Maintain project correspondence and lines of communication in accordance with established procedures;
- Support the preparation of work plans and budget revisions;
- Provide logistical organization for field visits, workshops and meetings;
- Maintain a proper filing system and office administration;
- Perform other project related duties as assigned from time to time by the Project Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Commerce (Accounting or Finance), Business Administration (Account or Finance), Finance and Accounts
- Finance and/or Accounting Certifications like CPA, ACCA is an advantage.
- At least three years of experience in project/programme finance management.
- Understanding of accounting processes and procedures, and Financial Reporting;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work under time constraints;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
- Proficient in software applications (Excel, Ms Word among others);
- Ability to communicate effectively to different stakeholders and organizations;
- Demonstrates / Safeguards Ethics and Integrity and Acts as a team player and facilitates team work;
- Understanding of GEF and UNEP finance and administrative procedures will be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All potential candidates should download an application form, Download Here, and fill the form and attach “O” and “A” level certificates, Bachelor’s and Postgraduate Degree Transcripts and Certificates, Professional certificates where applicable and Employment letters in one pdf file named: “Position-Name of Applicant”.
The one pdf file should be submitted to email@example.com
Applications not in one pdf file and those arriving after closing time will not be considered.
Deadline: 12th May 2023