Job Title: Value Chain Officer
Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Mbale, Uganda
Funding Source: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Project Name: Promoting Integrated Landscape Management approach for conservation of the Mt Elgon Ecosystem in Eastern Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
Job Ref: PILM/ADV/EXT/01/2023
The National Environment Management Authority (hereinafter called “NEMA”) was established under the National Environment Act, Cap.153 in May 1995 and continued under the National Environment Act No.5 of 2019 as the principal agency for environment management in Uganda charged with regulating, supervising and coordinating all activities relating to the environment.
About UNEP Project:
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) has on behalf of Government of Uganda received financial support from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) through the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) for a project on “Promoting Integrated Landscape Management approach for conservation of the Mt Elgon Ecosystem in Eastern Uganda”.
The Goal of the project is to “enhance conservation of ecosystems that provide critical goods and services for rural livelihoods and food security in the Mt. Elgon landscape” while its objective is to “transition the Mt. Elgon landscape to a sustainable, biodiverse, climate-resilient, integrated landscape with efficient coffee and staple crops (maize, beans, banana and Irish potato) value chains.”
Job Summary: The Value Chain Officer will support implementation of project activities on coffee and staple crops value chain outputs of the project. Under the general supervision of the Project Manager and in close collaboration with the project partners, the Value Chain Officer is responsible for day-to-day implementation of project activities on coffee and staple crops value chains at field level.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the timely and effective implementation of the approved project activities at field level;
- Participate in the preparation of quarterly and annual work plans and budgets;
- Ensure the accurate recording of all data relevant for operational, financial and results based monitoring;
- Prepare accurate and timely quarterly and annual technical reports for activities undertaken as required;
- Support the development and operationalization of coffee and staple crops value chains;
- Support the Project Manager in tracking implementation of project activities for the coffee and staple crops value chains against the stipulated time framework;
- Provide technical assistance to project partners at field level on implementation of project activities for the sustainable land management focal area as required;
- Ensure proper use of project equipment;
- Support the Project Manager in the preparation for meetings, workshops and seminars and the preparation of meeting and workshop reports;
- Support the Project Manager in the organization of the mid‐term and final evaluations, and provide inputs as required;
- Carry out training related to the coffee and staple crops value chains;
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with relevant local and national stakeholders related to coffee and staple crops value chains;
- Work closely with, mentor and develop the capacity of local counterparts on the development and operationalization of coffee and staple crops value chains;
- Work closely with the Project Manager in the implementation and operationalization of coffee and staple crops value chains;
- Provide support in integrating and promoting coffee and staple crops value chains in district local government development plans, decision making processes and ongoing programmes;
- Provide support in the dissemination of information on coffee and staple crops value chains to the target beneficiaries;
- Carry out other tasks as requested by the PM and any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an Honors Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field of agriculture
- A Master’s degree in the relevant field of agriculture is added advantage
- At least three years of relevant experience in value chain development methodologies, program management, agribusiness or agricultural development activities with international, national and local communities.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of agricultural value chains
- Proven exposure and experience supporting producer organizations to access agricultural inputs, advisory and business development services, and output markets; increase their production and marketing efficiencies; and enhance product competitiveness;
- Demonstrated experience in private sector development, entrepreneurship and support to women Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs);
- Excellent inter-personal skills;
- Good communication skills;
- High degree of initiative, flexibility and creativity;
- Proficiency in the use of computer software such as MS Word, MS Excel and MS Publisher and MS PowerPoint.
How to Apply:
All potential candidates should download an application form, Download Here, and fill the form and attach “O” and “A” level certificates, Bachelor’s and Postgraduate Degree Transcripts and Certificates, Professional certificates where applicable and Employment letters in one pdf file named: “Position-Name of Applicant”.
The one pdf file should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not in one pdf file and those arriving after closing time will not be considered.
Deadline: 12th May 2023