Job Title: Legal Clerk
Organisation: Uganda Tourism Board (UTB)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Uganda Tourism Board (UTB) is a statutory organization established by Uganda Tourism Board Statute of 1994 and reconstituted in the Tourism Act 2008 with the following Statutory Objectives:
- To promote and contribute to the Development of Tourism sector both within and outside of Uganda.
- To coordinate with the Ministry responsible for Tourism and the private sector in the implementation of the National Tourism policy.
- To carry out any other activities as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the two objectives specified above.
Job Summary: The Legal Clerk will support the Directorate effectively manage litigation risk of the institution and records. To assist in following up of court cases, fix cases for hearing and keep the legal office updated of their schedule. To assist in collecting information to facilitate drafting legal pleadings.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Litigation Effectively and timely file and serve court process, and correspondences.
- Draft and file affidavits of service upon effective service of court process.
- Diligently follow up with courts of law, tribunals or quasi-judicial authorities to fix dates for hearing cases
- Keep the legal office updated of their schedule
Legal Advisory Conduct due diligence at various registries including Company, Land Registries or any other Registry
- Routinely check with the Uganda Printing and Publishing Corporation for copies of the Uganda Gazette, Bills and recently enacted Acts of
- Parliament, Statutory Instruments, Legal Notices & Ordinances.
- Follow up with Solicitor General’s office for contract approvals.
- Record keeping of all court documents, contracts and board affairs documents
General Support To UTB Operations
- Draft weekly reports to the Legal Officer.
- File all documents received by the Directorate. in the relevant files and update the documents register.
Key Performance Indicators
- Maintaining registers for litigation and contracts
- Proper record keeping and inventory of all documents in the legal office
- Timely filing and service of court process
- Maintain a document filing system
- Weekly reports filed timely.
- Monthly risk logs filed in timely
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Diploma in Law with a valid process server’s certificate.
- Three years of relevant experience as a process server in a busy law firm/ legal department.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Computer literacy and communication skills
- Good record keeping and inventory skills
- A good time manager and team player.
- Result Oriented
- Should be a person of high integrity and confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work in a team setting
How to Apply:
All interested and eligible Ugandans who meet the above requirements are invited to apply. Applications should include a detailed CV (with email, telephone contact and postal address), plus certified copies of all academic certificates and transcripts, testimonials, past appointments copy of national identity card, contact details (telephone, postal and email addresses) of three competent referees should be sent by courier or hand delivered to the address below:
Chief Executive Officer,
Uganda Tourism Board,
Plot 42, Rotary Avenue (Lugogo Bypass),
6th Floor Lugogo House,
P.O. BOX 7211 KAMPALA
TEL. +256 414 342196/7 Fax +256 414 342 188
NB: UTB is an equal opportunity employer. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and any form of canvassing will lead to disqualification.
Deadline: 5th May, 2023