Job Title: IT Officer (Fresher Jobs)
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Research Collaboration (IDRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Information Systems Manager
The Infectious Diseases Research Collaboration (IDRC) is a non-profit research organization. IDRC conducts research in infectious diseases including Malaria, HIV and Tuberculosis. Our studies have led to over 300 publications and have impacted on the management of infectious diseases in Uganda. IDRC currently manages over 41 Grants with an annual budget of $11 million. IDRC was established in May 2008 by Ugandan health scientists from Makerere University College of Health Sciences, University of California, San Francisco and the Uganda Ministry of Health.
Job Summary: The Infectious Diseases Research Collaboration (IDRC) seeks to hire a suitable candidate for the position of IT Officer. This is a Kampala-based position. The Successful candidates will report to the Information Systems Manager.
This position entails delivering ICT Support by diligently logging incidents and promptly responding to user calls and email requests. The role also involves providing expert ICT technical support to users, ensuring the smooth operation of ICT systems and infrastructure, and troubleshooting issues as they arise. He will also be responsible for ensuring that all ICT systems are up and running and that any issues are resolved promptly to minimize downtime and optimize productivity.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to all staff by answering phones, logging and assigning tickets for a timely resolution, ensuring that all queries and issues are resolved promptly ensuring IT policies, procedures, systems, and tools are correctly applied to support them.
- Manage and maintain IT security by implementing and monitoring firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and disaster recovery plans to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the organization’s information.
- Set up, support, maintain and troubleshoot hardware, software, networks, printers, and peripherals ensuring they are in good working condition and available for use when needed.
- Install and update approved software for users/staff as required, ensuring that all systems are up-to-date and compatible with the organization’s IT infrastructure.
- Implement, maintain, and monitor backup solutions and disaster recovery plans for the organization’s data and information, ensuring that all critical data is backed up regularly and securely for business continuity in line with the risk and regulatory frameworks.
- Liaise with internet service providers to maintain constant availability of internet services, ensuring that users have access to the internet when needed.
- Work closely with the communications team or project leads to support the development and maintenance of the organization’s or study websites.
- Assist in the verification of ICT purchases and the disposal of ICT items while working with the stores and procurement departments.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Information Systems.
- At least two years of experience in Information Technology/Communication support, telephony systems, wide and local area networks.
- Experience in Windows server configurations (ADDS, DNS, Group Policy, DHCP, print server, WSUS, Windows backup, etc), server virtualization, high availability and load balancing configuration, and other Windows server installations.
- Knowledge of computer systems/networks and a range of software applications.
- Exceptional technical knowledge of network and PC operating systems in particular for managing and configuring authority and organization LANs and WANs.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 5th May 2023