Job Title: On Call Driver (7 Job Vacancies)
Organisation: CARE International in Uganda (CARE)
Duty Station: Kampala, Yumbe, Lamwo, Arua, Nakivale, Gulu, Amuru, Uganda
CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We are known everywhere for our unshakeable commitment to defending the dignity of people. CARE works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty, and achieve social justice. We seek a world of hope, tolerance, and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live with dignity and security. We put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. CARE has been working in Uganda for over 50 years. In FY ending June 2020, CARE improved the lives of nearly one million people in Uganda (62% women). Our ambition for the next five years is to reach 5 million people, through lifesaving and gender transformative programs
Job Summary: The primary responsibility of this position is to drive and maintain in good order the CARE vehicle(s) entrusted to you. Also to maintain the safety and security of the vehicle based on the policies and procedures in the CARE-Uganda Operations Manual and as per the laws of Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Maintain the vehicle in sound condition for driving-40%.
- Carrying out daily checks on vehicles ensuring that they are in good working condition; recording any problems requiring future action in the vehicle checklist.
- Carrying out minor maintenance (e.g. filling oil, water, and air) before vehicles will travel.
- Ensure that vehicles are equipped with all necessary breakdown and safety equipment and that this is also in full working order.
- Request vehicle maintenance, entering items that have been noted on the vehicle checklist onto the repair requisition form, and obtaining necessary authorizations; passing to procurement for production of the LPO which will be taken to the garage.
- Take vehicles to the garage, drawing their attention to the necessary repairs or the type of routine maintenance required; receiving quotations and checking they are appropriate.
- Follow up to ensure that vehicle maintenance is done on time; inspecting vehicles after repair or maintenance work has been completed to ensure that repairs are complete and to a good standard.
- Respond effectively when called to transfer emergencies.
- Collaborate with health staff during transferring of emergencies.
Make sure the passengers and property are safely guarded: 30%.
- Drive vehicles carefully and safely in accordance with the laws of Uganda and Care procedures.
- Give attention to the physical well-being of passengers, providing comfort breaks and other assistance as required; at all times treating passengers with courtesy and friendliness.
- Ensure that the destination, expected timings and any tasks to be accomplished are clear; plan a route that will accomplish all activities in the most cost-effective fashion and follow procedures that ensure no night-time driving.
- Make sure the vehicle contains an equipped First Aid box at all times.
Maintain records pertaining to the vehicle assigned to you: 20%.
- Contact the Procurement & Logistics officer in order to give progress reports on completed assignments/deliveries/ etc.
- Maintain a logbook and record all trips clearly with start and end.
- Submit vehicle status report.
- Compile the monthly summary journey log for all vehicles.
- On a monthly basis support the Procurement and Logistics officer in the scheduling for the availability of vehicles based on the user department request.
- On a monthly basis, support the Procurement and Logistics team in scheduling the drivers based on the user department request.
- Promote Gender Equity and Diversity and Safeguarding practices
- Practice a behavior that is consistent with CARE’s core values, and promotion of gender equity and diversity goals.
- Plays a champion/change agent role in identifying and implementing initiatives that enhance CARE’s commitment to gender and diversity.
- Be a champion /change agent and ensure CARE Safeguarding policies and procedures are adhered to by our partners and the staff that S/he works with both directly or indirectly.
- Where possible make appropriate recommendations to CO management on enhancing prevention strategies. This could include collecting and analyzing information on actual/potential risk factors for vulnerability to sexual harassment, exploitation, and abuse and elaborating on measures to address them.
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor which might include ;(5%)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Secondary School level ( O’ level) qualification
- Valid driver’s license
- Two to five years of driving experience in a medium-sized organization
- Defensive driving experience
- Knowledge of Ugandan Traffic Laws and regulation
- Effective verbal, presentation and listening communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to maintain composure at all times.
- Customer Focus
- Integrity and Trust
- Drive for Results
- Cross Culture Agility
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 5th May 2023