A bout Self Help Africa & United Purpose
In late 2021 Self Help Africa (SHA) and United Purpose (UP) merged. The two organisations – one headquartered in Ireland and the other in Wales – implement projects to end extreme hunger and poverty.
This merger doubled our size and reach – and means that in 2023 we are implementing poverty eradication projects in 17 countries, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa. Collectively, we are also part of a group that includes social enterprise subsidiaries Partner Africa, TruTrade and Cumo Microfinance.
In 2022 our work reached more than six million people and invested upwards of €45m in more than 100 development programmes designed to improve food systems, facilitate access to markets and financial services, combat climate change, gender inequality, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene.
This is an exciting time to join us as we unite two like-minded and entrepreneurial organisations seeking to tackle the global challenges in progressive and innovative ways.
Job Purpose: To provide finance and administration support to the project. Working closely with the Project Manager and the Head of Finance and Administration you will play a key role in the project operations. The Finance and Administration Assistant will have responsibility for financial administration, including the management of the accounts for the project, the financial information required for the Donor, the day-to-day financial management, as well as undertaking general administration tasks under the guidance of the Project Manager and the Head of Finance and Administration
The duties and responsibilities as set out below are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of her / his level of skills and experience.
Key Responsibilities Responsibilities (R) and Activities Results
R1: Finance and Accounting
a. Handling day-to-day accounting transactions
o Prepare and verify all supportive documents for payment before submitting them for approval.
o Filling all paid invoices
b. Making follow ups for all payments submitted to country office from the field and giving feedback.
c. Assist in preparation and tracking of budgets line and code in all requests.
d. Establish and implement efficient administration and logistics procedures in line with organisational requirements.
e. Support the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual donor financial reports in line with the grant agreement.
f. Assume other financial responsibilities as assigned.
• Making accurate payment requisitions before taking for approval.
• Prepare pending payment list for Monday meeting.
• Support to procurement committee.
• Timely and accurate donor reports
a. General management of the office; ensuring regular supply of power, water; timely supply and adequacy of office supplies; proper maintenance and safety of office.
b. Support, organize and provide administrative support for all organization events (e.g. room booking, catering arrangements, handling inquiries and bookings, etc.)
c. Organize staff meetings, prepare and share minutes of staff meetings, and where necessary.
d. Ensure that up-to-date contracts are in place for services and goods rendered to the project.
e. Maintain office administrative files including client, accounting and contract files with the ease of retrieving information.
f. Establish and implement administration and logistics procedures in line with organisational requirements.
g. Review movement logs and fuel reports for motorcycles and office vehicles and report any anomalies identified to the supervisor for appropriate action.
h. Coordinate all travel arrangements for staff in the field.
i. Support the procurement process for the supply of goods and services in line with SHA procurement guidelines.
R3: Assets and stores
a. Prepare and update the asset register on regular basis;
b. Maintain records of stock items including stock receipts and issuance ensuring that any stock issued is requested for by the user and approved by the department head
c. Ensure proper utilization of office assets by staff and coordinate repairs and maintenance of office building, equipment, motorcycles and vehicles
d. Performs any other duties assigned by the supervisors.
• A Bachelor of Commerce Degree (with accounting) or Bachelor of Business Administration (with strong accounting), or its equivalent.
• Professional qualifications CPA/ ACCA (at least must be on the final level)
• Three years of Finance and administration work experience and logistics, particularly on donor-funded projects
• Familiarity with donor project management policies, procedures and requirements.
• Strong ability to quickly assemble knowledge of program management.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams.
• Ability to effectively use MS office suite.
• Experience in preparation and presentation of reports.
• High level of integrity and high standards of personal conduct;
• HOFA, Project Manager, Project Officers, Technical Coordinators & other project staff.
• Self Help Africa Uganda Country Programme Staff and administrative staff
• Farmer groups, Service provider, Local Government, private sector, donors, implementing partner organisation, civil society organisations.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
• Experience working with farmer groups and private sector actors.
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work as part of team across different cultures.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision and take initiative
• Ability to solve problems and take corrective action.
All candidates offered a job with Self Help Africa/United Purpose will be expected to sign our Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. Specific roles may require Police/DBS/ [relevant police authority] vetting.
Self Help Africa/United Purpose strive to be an equal opportunities employer.
Please download the Application Form and fill it in. Qualified candidates should upload a completed application form, motivational letter and CV to the SHA Online Recruitment Portal. If you experience issues with the Recruitment Portal, please visit this link for assistance: https://bit.ly/SHA_TechSupport1