Job Title: Associate Administrative Officer
Organisation: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 23-Administration-RSCE-205348-R-Entebbe (R)
Reports to: Director RSCE
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE) was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities. This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the Director, the Associate Administrative Officer will perform the following functions:
Human resources management:
- Undertakes actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities under the guidance of the supervisor, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Provides information regarding conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Assists in providing information on the unit’s staffing needs for inclusion in RSCE’s staffing table.
Budget and finance:
- Assists in developing the unit’s work program and budget; analyses input and formulates resource allocations by work program, or business processes.
- Monitors budget/work program with respect to budget, trust funds and grants, on a regular basis, and reallocates resources as necessary.
- Supports the implementation of procedures and systems for implementing the appropriate financial database.
- Contributes to the development of budgetary guidelines for own unit.
Overall support to management:
- Provides direct and executive support to the RSCE Front Office by ensuring that the Director has all the information required to take decisions and carry out their responsibilities.
- Provides substantive and technical input to the work of the RSCE Steering Committee and supports the reporting process to stakeholders.
- Assists in drafting SOPs and guidelines on various issues related to RSCE internal functioning.
Support to client – service centre relationship:
- Supports the relationship of the Service Centre with its client missions through efforts such as the review of the RSCE Service level Agreement based on implementation of UMOJA extensions and other administrative tools, as well as the related changes to the division of roles between UNHQ, RSCE and Client Missions.
- Coordinates support to complex inquiries raised by the RSCE Client Missions in order to facilitate their timely resolution.
- Updates and maintains key information for the RSCE to support the work of the RSCE management.
- Coordinates the logistical and administrative support for the sessions of the Steering Committee and other Official visits to the RSCE.
- Assists in supervision of support staff as required.
- Assists in coordinating the operational travel programme, monitoring of accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services, physical space planning and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems.
- Performs other related administrative duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Associate Administrative Officer job should have completed an advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Management, Economics, Public Administration, or related field is required. A first level university degree with a combination with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in Project / Programme Management, development or related area with a Master’s degree or equivalent, or 4 years of work experience in relevant area with a first university degree (bachelor’s degree) is required.
- Languages: fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French language is desirable.
- Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; -Uses time efficiently.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 4th May 2023