Job Title: Driver (NGO Jobs)
Organisation: Self Help Africa (SHA) / United Purpose (UP)
Duty Station: Adjumani, Uganda
In late 2021, Self Help Africa (SHA) and United Purpose (UP) merged. The two organisations – one headquartered in Ireland and the other in Wales – implement projects to end extreme hunger and poverty. This merger doubled our size and reach – and means that in 2022 we are implementing poverty eradication projects in 17 countries, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa. Collectively, we are also part of a group that includes social enterprise subsidiaries Partner Africa, TruTrade and Cumo Microfinance. In 2022 our work will reach more than six million people and invest upwards of €45m in more than 100 development programmes designed to improve food systems, facilitate access to markets and financial services, combat climate change, gender inequality, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene.
Job Summary: The incumbent will drive staff and to manage the project vehicle for Self Help Africa.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive the project vehicles with strict adherence to local traffic laws and in accordance to project rules and regulations pertaining to vehicles
- Transport project staff and materials in Adjumani Town and the regions
- Maintain the vehicle in a satisfactory condition, including weekly cleaning of the interior and exterior and periodic (quarterly) cleaning of the motor and chassis.
- Ensure that tyres are in good working conditions at all time, and that spare tyre is in good condition
- Ensure that vehicle usage log is updated on a daily basis and submitted on a monthly basis.
- Ensure that fuel consumption report is submitted as required.
- Ensure regular maintenance of the vehicle, and that fluids (water, oil, fuel, washer liquid, etc.) levels are at required levels
- Report any apparent malfunction to the Supervisor.
- Report any damage or accident to the Supervisor immediately.
- Ensure that the vehicle is safely parked and locked when not in use.
- Carry out project errands as required
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Must possess a UCE or UACE certificate
- At least five years of driving experience with preferably Non-Governmental organisations
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with preferably classes B, DL, CM
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs. Knowledge of email, telephone and other applications.
- Trustworthy, high sense of responsibility, alertness; physical fitness on duty, emotional stability, neat and courteous.
- Good knowledge of the Project activity areas and the current conditions of roads and highways.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Flexibility to fit into often changing priorities
- Ability to fluently communicate in both verbally and written language(s) applicable to project requirements
How to Apply:
Please download the Application Form, Download Here and fill it in. Qualified candidates should upload a completed application form, motivational letter and CV to the SHA Online Recruitment Portal (Click Here). If you experience issues with the Recruitment Portal, please visit this link for assistance: bit.ly/SHA_TechSupport1
Deadline: 5th May 2023 by 5pm EAT.
NB: Please note that Self Help Africa Uganda advocates for equal opportunity and does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.