Job Title: Product Development and Investment Officer
Organisation: Uganda Tourism Board (UTB)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Uganda Tourism Board (UTB) is a statutory organization established by Uganda Tourism Board Statute of 1994 and reconstituted in the Tourism Act 2008 with the following Statutory Objectives:
- To promote and contribute to the Development of Tourism sector both within and outside of Uganda.
- To coordinate with the Ministry responsible for Tourism and the private sector in the implementation of the National Tourism policy.
- To carry out any other activities as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the two objectives specified above.
Job Summary: The Product Development & Investment Officer will develop and implement a product development plan aimed at diversifying tourism products to increase length of stay and expenditure by tourists; and develop and implement an investment plan aimed at promoting tourism investment in the sector.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Development and production of appropriate products and services
- Draft regulatory policies governing products.
- Develop and update guidelines for product development.
- Develop capacity of sector actors in ensuring that total quality is achieved.
Develop detailed business plans and proposal for viable investment opportunities in tourism with approaches on how to support the private sector investors
- Develop standards for registration, inspection and complaints handling.
- Generate a list of joint venture opportunities/projects in the sector for collaborative promotion.
- Develop Business Development Scheme to help in facilitation of the private sector.
- Collaborations with government authorities on licensing
Identify and dissect private sector challenges in the tourism industry and propose approaches to tackle them.
- Conduct up to date research on the competitiveness of Uganda as a tourism destination.
- Report to management on quality issues, trends and losses
- Develop policies that ensure good governance and follow up of the law
Product audits Developing a plan for accomplishment including gap analysis, training requirements, and implementation strategy.
- Develop plan on soliciting for customer feedback
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation system of customer satisfaction
Develop and implement appropriate Standard Operating
- Procedures to ensure Consistency in product development
- Develop SOPs for sites
- Train project site managers
- Develop SOPs for investment promotion and facilitation
- Monitor trends closely
Documenting Investment opportunities
- Identify investment opportunities
- Document investment opportunities
- Research on potential opportunities
- Widely disseminate investment resources
Identify and dissect sector challenges affecting investors in the tourism industry and propose intervention remedies
- Conducts up to date research on the competitiveness of Uganda as a tourism investment destination
- Dissect challenges facing the sector
- Develop policies that ensure good investment governance
- Lobby for tourism sector incentives with the private sector
Key Performance Indicators
- Product Development Guidelines in place.
- Product Development Strategy in place.
- Catalogue of tourism products in the country.
- Periodic studies on the relative importance of tourism products in the community.
- Tourist/Client satisfaction index.
- Levels of compliance in the sector with respect to tourism products.
- Two (2) tourism products developed annually.
- Standard operating procedures (SOPs) to guide product development and investment promotion and facilitation in the tourism sector.
- Updated tourism investment sector profile.
- Existing licensing framework.
- Updated list of tourism incentives in place.
- List of investment projects seeking Joint Venture or other project support services
- Business Development Scheme for the sector
- A pipeline of tourism investments at all times.
- Joint venture list of projects/promoters.
- Quarterly Monitoring reports on investment projects and on product development.
- Number of surveys/research conducted, and recommendations implemented/followed up for implementation.
- Monthly risk logs.
- Timely performance reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Honours’ Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Economics or Tourism
- At least three (3) years of progressive working experience in tourism product development; and/or investment promotion and facilitation role in a busy organization.
- Ability to lead the formulation and development of tourism product related strategies, plans and programs for implementation.
- Understanding of the tourism industry (Government Policy and Private Sector Stakeholder landscape).
- Proven ability to develop strategic linkages, partnerships and networks with Government Agencies, private sector actors, and Development Partners.
- Ability to constantly scan the tourism sector in order to identify opportunities, address constraints and emerging situations for the benefit of the tourism stakeholders.
- Skills in investment promotion and facilitation.
- Business intelligence and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Project management and implementation skills.
- Research/knowledge management skills.
- Thoroughness/ Concern of Excellence.
- Result Orientation.
- Personal Integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work in a team setting.
How to Apply:
All interested and eligible Ugandans who meet the above requirements are invited to apply. Applications should include a detailed CV (with email, telephone contact and postal address), plus certified copies of all academic certificates and transcripts, testimonials, past appointments copy of national identity card, contact details (telephone, postal and email addresses) of three competent referees should be sent by courier or hand delivered to the address below:
Chief Executive Officer,
Uganda Tourism Board,
Plot 42, Rotary Avenue (Lugogo Bypass),
6th Floor Lugogo House,
P.O. BOX 7211 KAMPALA
TEL. +256 414 342196/7 Fax +256 414 342 188
NB: UTB is an equal opportunity employer. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and any form of canvassing will lead to disqualification.
Deadline: 5th May, 2023