Job Title: Computer Management Assistant (LAN/WAN)
Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Position Number: Kampala-2023-041
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Natalie E. Brown currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: The Computer Management Assistant works closely with the Information Technology Team Lead to implement and maintain the network and communication infrastructure for CDC Uganda. Among the responsibilities are the upgrading and maintenance of Local Area Network (LAN) systems, computer hardware and software, system design, document management platforms, audio/video platforms, security, and internet connectivity for CDC Uganda’s Embassy and Entebbe offices.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the United States US Embassy Computer Management Assistant job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer and Systems Engineering, Information Systems Engineering, or Information Systems Management. Required.
- Certified Microsoft and HP personnel with knowledge of Local Area Network design and support methodologies required. In-depth knowledge of personal computers, peripherals and LAN hardware including HP and DELL servers, Cisco switches, Cisco security routers, Cisco ASA firewall (VPN), Structural Office cabling (SOC), Fiber office cabling (FOC), (SOC) patch panels, (FOC) patch panels, wireless router internet hardware and other various hardware required for the implementation of LAN systems is required
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in the operation of current Local Area Network (LAN) systems, including experience with Microsoft’s most recent releases, information technology (IT) hardware, communication systems, networking components, and cabling is required.
- Job holder must have knowledge of local vendors and suppliers in order to determine what IT equipment and supplies may be purchased locally.
- A thorough understanding of the design and support procedures for Local Area Networks is required.
- In-depth knowledge of personal computers, peripherals, and LAN hardware is essential, including servers, switches, hubs, cabling, patch panels, and various other devices required for the implementation of LAN/WAN systems is required.
- In depth understanding of Local Area Network hardware/software components, Microsoft Windows and windows Server operating systems, application/hardware installation use is required.
- Must possess good technical skills to troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve hardware and software problems, thereby maximizing the capabilities of Agency computer resources.
- Incumbent must be able to work independently to assess advanced IT problems and issues and develop realistic solutions. It is crucial to be able to develop, deploy, and manage LAN/WAN systems as part of a support team.
- The ability to work well in a team environment and adhere to deadlines established in conjunction with the team leader is required.
- Job holder must have numerical skills in order to accurately complete network configuration calculations and conversions.
- It is necessary to multitask, plan, coordinate ambitious schedules, and provide exceptional customer service. Communication skills with various levels of staff and management are essential.
- Ability to read technical manuals in English is required.
- Must be capable of directing training for computer program applications at the advanced level.
- The incumbent must plan his/her work activities and be able to make revisions to accommodate short notice deadlines.
- The job holder must have very good oral and written communication skills.
- Job holder should expect to perform some heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs.) while working in the office or warehouse environment moving printers, heavy desktop UPS, desktop computers, and other IT equipment.
- Language: Good working knowledge; written & spoken English. This may be tested
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the United States Embassy, US Mission in Kampala should send their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 7th May 2023