Job Title: Senior Research Associate – Gender
Organisation: International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) is a non-profit organization that works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animal’s alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases.
Job Summary: The Senior Research Associate – Gender will support and contribute to the implementation of gender research work in Uganda that is under SAPLING initiative. They will ensure successful coordination of fieldwork, maintain relationships with partners as well as accounting for funds disbursed for fieldwork. The incumbent will liaise administratively with the Uganda leadership team and the gender technical and thematic leadership team. In Uganda, the incumbent will supervise field teams and maintain relationships with the local partners. Occasionally, they will also be called upon to participate in cross country learnings on SAPLING approaches in different countries.
The purpose of this role is to ensure the highest standards and good practices implementation of gender research activities. The incumbent needs to keep abreast with the latest developments in gender tools, methods, and practices. The position will be based at the Alliance/ILRI office in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support in developing research questions and survey instruments for gender research in SAPLING WP3 activities on Norms, WELI/WELBI, youth studies, Gender Transformative Approaches in Uganda.
- Participate in field research to obtain relevant data and information on gender-related issues SAPLING WP3 activities on Norms, WELI/WELBI, youth studies, Gender Transformative Approaches in Uganda.
- Participate in appropriate processing and archival of qualitative and quantitative data collected on gender issues SAPLING WP3 activities on Norms, WELI/WELBI, youth studies, Gender Transformative Approaches in Uganda.
- Provide support in producing gender research reports, journal publications, blogs articles and other communications related to SAPLING WP3 activities on Norms, WELI/WELBI, youth studies, Gender Transformative Approaches in Uganda.
- Provide support in preparing and making presentations on summaries of recent developments in the programs at forums and other meetings where the SAPLING WP3 gender issues needs to be presented.
- Provide support in project coordination and technical assistance to the Research Programs as may be requested from time to time.
- Contribute to the fulfillment, in a timely and accurate fashion, of the various mandatory reporting requirements for the ongoing programs in the gender research activities under SAPLING WP3 activities on Norms, WELI/WELBI, youth studies, Gender Transformative Approaches in Uganda.
- Participate in the development of communication materials to enhance the impact of strategic gender and policy research in Uganda emanating from SAPLING WP3 activities on Norms, WELI/WELBI, youth studies, Gender Transformative Approaches research and processes.
- Provide support in establishing and maintaining contacts with collaborating organizations and partners that work on Gender issues in Uganda.
- Assist in organizing project and stakeholder meetings in Uganda.
- Provide support in documentation of success stories and impact and contribute to MEL data collection, analysis and reporting for SAPLING WP3 activities on Norms, WELI/WELBI, youth studies, Gender Transformative Approaches in Uganda.
- Manage travel and other logistics as required to support Gender Staff/teams working on SAPLING WP3 activities on Norms, WELI/WELBI, youth studies, Gender Transformative Approaches in Uganda.
- Any other related duties and miscellaneous tasks as assigned by the Senior Gender Research Scientist.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a master’s degree in any social sciences related disciplines (Agricultural Economics; Gender and Development; Anthropology or Sociology; Agriculture and Gender studies).
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in a busy research team in an international setting.
- Gender related research and/or development experience.
- Experience working in livestock value chains will be an added advantage
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels and from multiple disciplines and cultures in a respectful manner.
How to Apply:
Applicants are invited to visit the link below to get full details of the position and to submit their applications which should include letter of application, CV and names/contacts of at least three professional referees. Applications should cite reference ABC-UG-023 Senior Research Associate – Gender – Uganda as the position applied for. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: The Alliance does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The Alliance also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Deadline: 16th May 2023