Organisation: Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA Network)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) is a coalition of civil society organizations from Sudan, South Sudan, Uganda, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia and Somaliland. SIHA was founded in 1995 by a collection of women’s groups with the view of strengthening the capacities of women organizations in the Horn of Africa countries. SIHA advocates for social change and gender equality for men and women in the Horn region and works specifically on: gender equality, women rights activism, women economic empowerment, eliminating violence against women and girls, promoting human rights, peace building and conflict transformation, enhancing women’s leadership and political participation and the production and dissemination of knowledge.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist the SIHA Network Communications and Advocacy Working Group in the following tasks:
- Assist with the preparation and production of communication materials, including factsheets, project brochures, newsletters and other publications;
- Update SIHA Network social media on a regular basis with relevant material, highlighting key events and achievements;
- Assist in executing any campaigns and events that the SIHA Network Communications and Advocacy division
- Support in developing press and public statements that are in tune with women’s rights and other related contemporary issues in the region
- Assist the rest of the division and the programmes team with any other duties as may be assigned. Network’s work;
- Contribute towards the development of new vectors of communication to support the Communications and Advocacy division;
- Assist in planning and implementing new initiatives from the division;
- Assist in writing press releases and feature articles related to activities/events;
- Assist the rest of the division and programme with any other duties as may be assigned;
- Be an active member of SIHA Network’s Membership Coordinator Committee that functions as the liaison between the organisation and its members.
- Devise regular communication activities that keep members informed about the Network’s work and emerging opportunities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must have a University Degree in the field of Communication, Journalism, Law, or a related field. A post graduate qualification is an added advantage.
- At least three to five years of relevant work experience in the fields of gender, women/human rights and development in the African context
- Good understanding of the women movements and social justice and human rights movements dynamics
- Strong knowledge of content management systems like WordPress; digital tools and social media platforms;
- Proven experience and interest in the field of advocacy and communication, especially new media
- Strong editing skills;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English is mandatory;
- Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail;
- Ability to write clearly and concisely;
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Proactive and practical-minded
- Team Player
- Quick learner
- Good computer skills
NB: SIHA is committed to offer a fair remuneration based on qualifications and experience. Qualified females are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Interested Candidates are asked to provide their current CV and Cover Letter, expressing her/his motivation in applying and relevant experience/expertise, to SIHA’s Human Resources Department email@example.com . Please enter “Application Materials: Regional Advocacy and Communications Associate” in the subject line.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 30th May 2023