Job Title: Registration Assistant (Fresher UN Jobs)
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Lamwo, Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Registration Assistant is a member of the registration team and is supervised by a more senior colleague who normally reports directly to the Registration Officer. The incumbent is responsible for supporting all activities related to registration, which may also include functions related to reception, filing and data management.
S/he responds to queries from asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements. The Registration Assistant liaises with protection staff and partners to ensure timely identification and referral of persons of concern for protection follow up and may provide interpretation and/or translation services in cases for which s/he has the required language competencies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct registration interviews in accordance with local SOPs and registration standards.
- Quickly respond to queries from asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements.
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all individual registration cases.
- Identify persons with specific needs and ensure timely referral to protection follow-up as required.
- Work closely with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of assistance and programming, including provision of identity and entitlement documentation
- Act as interpreter and translator when needed.
- Refer cases to other units within the office and to implementing partners as necessary.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the UNHCR Registration Assistant job should have completed a High school diploma or Bachelor’s degree (equivalent or higher).
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- One year of experience working in the humanitarian field.
- UNHCR experience is a considerable plus.
- Experience in working with UNHCR ProGres V4 is desirable.
- Proficient in Microsoft office. Especially excel.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written/oral/comprehension)
- Highly organized and motivated.
Competencies: Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 19th November 2023