Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading National Humanitarian Organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (IFRC). Uganda Red Cross implements lifesaving services across the country and would wish to invite applicants that meet job requirements for vacant positions in our organisation.
Applications from suitable persons to be considered for appointment in the outlined positions are hereby invited. All applicants should adhere to the Red Cross Principles. URCS is an equal opportunities employer and mindful of gender balance in its establishment.
The full job description and application form can be viewed and downloaded from here
Please send your filled application form and attach your academic transcripts and certificates. The filled application forms, academic transcripts and certificates should be e-mailed to; email@example.com or hand delivered, and or by post to:
The Secretary General,
Uganda Red Cross Society,
Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road,
P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Closing date for receipt of the applications is 15thAugust 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
Due to large volumes of applications; only short listed candidates shall be contacted. Canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification.
Please specify your preferred location
N.B: URCS Service volunteers are encouraged to apply
||Climate and Environmental Officer (1 position)
||Technically to the Manager, Climate Action and Environment and administratively to the Project Supervisor
||One (1) year with possibility of renewal
The Climate and Environment Officer will ensure project development and responsible for planning, implementation and reporting of the activities under the Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC) funded Chronic Crisis II Project especially under DP results (i) Communities in disaster-affected areas adapt climate, water risk informed and environmentally responsible values and practices. (ii) The District Management Committees take active steps to strengthen their preparedness for timely and effective response to disasters and (iii) Hygiene promotion and climate risk awareness activities are provided to the entire affected population. He/she will provide technical support in the project implementation team in field of climate and environment to ensure that the objectives and goals are achieved in Arua and Madi-Okollo.
The Officer will support the Manager, Climate and Environment to ensure the operationalization of the URCS Climate Action and Environment Unit under the DRM department and will offer programmatic support under the four themes; Climate Sciences, Mitigation, Adaptation and Cross Cutting (Climate Change and Health, Youth and Persons with Special Needs (PSN), Policy, Training and Outreach) across all the departments
||Key Result Areas
||Strategic planning and Management
- Support the design, development of the relevant Climate & Environment, Community Disaster Preparedness & Response Plans and activities of the project.
- Provision of technical guidance to relevant counterparts/project staff on programmatic and project implementation issues with a view to ensuring that effective assistance flows directly to targeted beneficiaries;
- Support and ensure effective management of project activities and information sharing on project outputs with relevant project staff and stakeholders in liaison with the Project Manager;
||Climate & Environment
- Support the development of URCS environment and climate change strategy and other Concepts of Operations (CONOPs) within the framework of the current URCS KF4 strategy
- Lead the planning, implementation and reporting of project activities related to climate and environment and support project team to achieve project goals and objectives
- Support the development and implementation of Climate Risk Management (CRM) /Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) and mitigation strategies at community level.
||Geographic Information System
- In liaison with the GIS lead, support in data collection, mapping, and preparation of visualization products for the project activities at region, district, community scales using various GIS tools
- In liaison with GIS and digital transformation leads, promote information management services across the staff and facilitate capacity building through training and coaching of project staff, volunteers and wider National Society team in GIS awareness and competencies.
||Cash Voucher Assistance
- Support with the CVA programme team and the project team to identify appropriate cash transfer modalities, including household targeting, targeting and beneficiary management
- Ensure implementation of all the project activities as per the CVA standard operating procedures ensuring quality cash disbursement process and ensure risk management procedures.
||Resource Mobilization & Partnership Management
- Support to increase program outreach through development of new programmes, engagement in advocacy, assistance in fund mobilization, enhancement of existing partnerships and development of new partnership to increase the outreach; including exploring avenues for climate finance mechanisms
- Support the development fundable project proposals for operational growth of the URCS climate and environment portfolio.
||Communication & Public Relations
- Contribute to the promotion of a positive corporate image and overall credibility of the URCS; notably through the strict application of and adherence to the seven fundamental principles of the Red Cross movement, and humanitarian Code of Conduct;
- Support the project manager to ensure the effective capacity building for team
- Actively engage in management performance duties and ensures the provision of management, guidance, development, training, constructive feedback, performance evaluation and appraisal, and provision of administrative support and other management functions to staff in the areas of his/her responsibility.
- Support the project manager and implementation team to prepare, manage and monitor Climate and Environment related project budget by developing monthly budget and monitoring framework as stipulated.
||Carries out any other lawful assignment allocated by the immediate Supervisor.
- The jobholder is cooperative and readily responds to any ad hoc tasks assigned to him.
Minimum qualifications, working experience and competencies:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Environment, Forestry and Nature Conservation, Climate Change, Development, Disaster Risk Management or related field from an approved, recognized and reputable university.
- Minimum of at least 2 years’ relevant work experience in a similar position.
- Profound work experience in Climate & Environment
- Experience in design, implementation and management of projects related to climate risk management and adaptation to climate change.
- Demonstrated experience in Climate related Hazard specific information generation, application, translation / interpretation and dissemination to all levels including sector specific stakeholders;
- Negotiation and conflict management
- Innovation and creatively
- Stakeholder management
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Technology awareness
- Policy research and development
- Change capability and adaptability
- Manage resources
- Empowering and building trust.
|Knowledge and Skills
- High level of integrity
- Good track record of success in developing winning proposals, in partnership with international and national organizations
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to manage a wide variety of diverse relationships utilizing a collaborative and consultative approach to communication
- Demonstrated creativity and productivity in resource mobilization, marketing and communications
- Confident presentation and public speaking skills
- Fluent in English
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including well developed report writing skills (Essential)
- Proficient analytical and research skills (Essential)
- Highly developed and effective negotiation and partnerships management skills.
Download application template from here