Job Title: Data Analyst
Organisation: Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Technical Advisor – Monitoring & Evaluation
About Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs
John Hopkins Center for Communication programs (CCP) is a leader in strategic communication and research that facilitates access to information and exchange of knowledge to improve health. CCP has more than 60 projects that employ staff in more than 40 countries around the world. CCP has unparalleled experience as a global center for Social and Behavioral Change excellence. Through its projects, CCP harnesses the power of social and behavior change communication to encourage the adoption of healthy behaviors in the projects implemented worldwide.
About SBCA Project background:
The Social and Behavioral Change Activity (SBCA) is a five-year program implemented through a cooperative agreement between the United States Agency for International Development (USAID/Uganda) and Johns Hopkins University Center for Communication Programs (CCP). The Vision of USAID’s Social and Behavioral Change Activity is a Uganda where individuals and communities are not just healthy, but resilient, supported by strong adaptable systems and institutions to lead productive lives.
The SBC Activity supports the Government of Uganda (GoU) and US government implementing partners to design and implement Social and Behavioral Change (SBC) communication initiatives that contribute towards reduction in Maternal and Child mortality, Malaria prevalence, Total Fertility rate, new HIV infections, TB prevalence and improved Nutrition out comes, resilience and improved SBC systems and expertise.
Job Summary: The Data Analyst will provide technical support to the monitoring, evaluation and learning activities of the SBCA project with emphasis on formulating, implementing, and enforcing proper data management practices. He/she will coordinate SBCA project data management tasks including database set up, data entry, data security management, data quality management, oversight of document records, reports generation and visualization. The incumbent will work with the SBCA staff and partners to ensure that project related data is compiled, managed, analyzed and reported on time to inform the AMELP. He/she will participate in the conceptualization and implementation of evaluative research, formative assessments and related studies. The Data Analyst will have advanced education and/or training, and practical experience in tech-enabled monitoring and evaluation, quantitative and qualitative methods including design, and data analysis and visualization using the state-of-the art software.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Research and Evaluation (R&E)
- Contribute to research design, methodological development and strategic planning for SBC analysis
- Conduct literature reviews to support R&E and MEL designs, and IRB protocols with direction.
- Support the development of mobile and electronic data collection tools, where applicable.
- Support in applying sampling techniques to effectively determine and define ideal categories to be questioned
- Support the development and implementation of field training with focus on data management.
- Support the supervision and R&E field work and quality assurance.
- Assist with the development of research reports and manuscripts (includes scientific writing), presentations, posters, blogs and other products
- Contribute to data visualization resources for reports and other products.
Monitoring and Learning
- Support the operationalization of the AMELP and its periodic update to include key Performance Indicators
- Lead in monitoring data compilation for program feedback and suggest improvements where necessary
- Set up databases that capture SBCA’s routine data as aligned to the AMELP
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities to assess impact, reach and quality of SBCA
- Analyze data for trends and risks and advise the SBCA team to inform planning and decisions
- Create and enforce policies for effective and routine data management
- Formulate techniques for quality data collection to ensure adequacy, accuracy and legitimacy of data
- Assist with development and review of reports and data extraction when needed
- Actively participates in collating HMIS/DHIS2 data monthly and quarterly as outlined in the AMELP to enable on-going program planning and adaptation
- Devise and implement efficient and secure procedures for data collection, handling and analysis with attention to all technical aspects
- Assist in establishing rules and procedures for internal and external data sharing
- Support SBCA staff and partners in the daily use of data systems and ensure adherence to standards
- Ensure digital databases and archives are protected from security breaches and data losses
- Clean, mine, extract, collate and analyze large and complex datasets, using statistical techniques where appropriate, to uncover trends, patterns, relationships, and draw valid inferences using analytics
- Conduct routine data quality assessments (DQAs) and guide teams on course corrections
- Actively participates in the improvement of MEL databases based on issues emerging from DQA and new developments in USAID/PEPFAR reporting requirements
- Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their performance to discover ways of enhancing them (new technologies, upgrades etc.)
- Assist with R&E data cleaning and data preparation for analysis.
- Performs quantitative analysis using statistical software (STATA, SPSS, R, SAS) with direction.
- Assist with R&E data preparation and codebook development for analysis.
- Perform qualitative analysis using software (Atlas.ti, Nvivo, Dedoose, and others) with direction.
- Support the mapping of available information management systems that may be relevant to SBC
- Support the development and implementation of a user-friendly data for learning (D4L) platform for SBC information
- Support the overall management of the SBC information management system
Training and capacity development
- Provide technical backstop for MEL staff, as needed with direction
- Work in liaison with MEL staff to build the capacity of other project staff and partners to use project databases (and other important data such as HMIS) including data analysis
- Work closely with MEL staff to build the capacity of staff and partners to interpret findings and data use to inform on-going program learning and adaptation
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
- Master’s Degree (MPH, MSPH, MS) in Statistics, Biostatistics, Communication, Public Health, Demography, or related Behavioral Science;
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience working with USAID programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of SBCC theory and models, and applies it to R&E studies with direction.
- Strong qualitative data analysis, research and information management experience in fast-changing contexts and with large datasets
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning experience a plus
- Ability to lead survey design, planning, implementation and report writing.
- Ability to lead a team of Health information experts and consultants.
- Strong understanding of the local context
- Data visualization skills and knowledge of relevant software to produce info-graphics is a plus
- Proﬁcient in Geo-information Science and Technology (GIS) experience
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Proven experience as data manager or analyst
- Experience working with databases such as DHIS2, DATlM, HIBRlD, iHRlS, TraiNET. FTMS and PRS is highly desired.
- Familiarity with modern databases and information system technologies
- Proven ability to support government in the development, monitoring implementation of health sector plans and generation of performance reports
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to submit e-mail applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with copies of current CV, cover letter and three professional referees. Please indicate which position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Deadline: 17th August 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com