Job Title: Inclusive Education Manager
Organisation: Building Tomorrow
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Started in 2006, Building Tomorrow improves access to child-friendly, community-supported schools by providing an inclusive, quality education for underserved children. Through our Thriving Schools program, we deploy Building Tomorrow Fellows who recruit and train Community Education Volunteers, together bringing out-of-school children into the classroom while working with school leadership to ensure access to a quality, inclusive school environment. We also work hand-in-hand with local communities, the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Education to construct new primary schools where no formal primary school exists. With a full-time staff of 105, just five of whom work in the United States, Building Tomorrow reaches over 101,000 students each day. Building Tomorrow has received funding and recognition for its innovative work from the Clinton Global Initiative, Educate a Child, Echoing Green, the Segal Family Foundation, and Forbes Magazine. More information can be found online at: www.buildingtomorrow.org.
Job Summary: Building Tomorrow, an international social-profit organization galvanizing communities to support thriving schools in underserved areas in East Africa is seeking an exceptional, values-aligned inclusive education (IE) Manager to lead the development and implementation of Building Tomorrow’s inclusive education strategy. As the inclusive education Manager, you should be passionate about individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and are looking for an opportunity that will allow you to make a difference in their lives while providing you with a rewarding experience. In this dynamic role, you will work closely with the Programs, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning, Strategic Partnerships, and Finance teams to ensure the inclusive education strategy is fully implemented.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic Direction and Development (20%)
- Support the vision, ethos, inclusive education policies of Building Tomorrow that aim to foster welcoming schools, classrooms, homes for both children living with/ without disabilities;
- Lead the design and implementation of the inclusive education advocacy strategy for Building Tomorrow
- Support the evaluation of the effectiveness of the inclusive education program, participate in continuous re-design of the approaches to support rural and underserved communities and schools.
Teacher Development and Learning (30%)
- Lead the design, implementation, monitoring of training on inclusive education for effectiveness and results orientation.
Inclusive education leadership (20%)
- Keep yourself fully appraised and aware of educational and other appropriate developments, whether national or local, and assess their impact on inclusive education programming within Building Tomorrow and the greater team
- Ensure the development and maintenance of a team culture that enables all members of management to be effective informed on inclusive education programming within Building Tomorrow;
- Actively assess district-based networks for all opportunities towards leveraged school support. inclusive education officer shall ensure partnerships in all implementation districts.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (30%).
- Coordinate local government, central government and donor sites visits, with relevant departments including Fellows, Education Support and Roots to Rise;
- Create and implement a monitoring, evaluation and learning framework for inclusive education programming in Building Tomorrow.
- Provide regular support supervision and coaching to Implementing staff and project partners.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, with training in special needs education or any related field;
- A minimum of 3-5 years working within the primary education sector and with experience supporting inclusive education initiatives;
- Knowledge and skills in Universal Design for Learning (UDL) driven techniques is desirable
- Lobbying, networking and communication skills and experiences.
- Experience in developing inclusive education materials and deliver trainings.
- Excellent communication skills with good command both written and spoken
- Professional demeanor and willingness to engage with partners through email, phone calls, and in-person meetings
- Strong time management skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks at once
- Keen ability to identify goals, create clear plans to deliver results, and maintain strict deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and TaroWorks, proficiency with Salesforce a plus
- Willingness to travel frequently by bus and boda to rural schools and venues outside Kampala
We want you to apply if…
- Have an unshakeable passion for education equality, believing access to an inclusive, quality education is a basic human right;
- Possess creative ingenuity, being progressive in your thinking and approaching challenges old and new. You are entrepreneurial and unafraid to pilot new ideas;
- Be relentlessly determined, refusing to accept the status quo, persistently striving to create new opportunities to reach more children, allowing them to reach their maximum potential;
- Believe in collaborative engagement. You believe more can be achieved together than alone, believe in the power of cultivating relationships and see everyone as an equal partner.
Successful applicants will be based at Building Tomorrow Head Quarters, with frequent travel to rural and hard to reach districts
Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This Is a Manager Level position, the position holder will report to Director of Programs.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
NB: This call for applications will remain open, until the right candidate is found. Building Tomorrow is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com