Job Title: Logistics Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary: UGX 1,900,000 – 2,000,000 (Gross P/Month)
Reports to: Logistics Manager
ALIGHT, formerly the American Refugee Committee (ARC), is an international non-profit, non-sectarian organization that has provided humanitarian assistance and training to millions of beneficiaries over the last 40 years. In 2011, Alight helped nearly 2.5 million people get essential services to regain their health and take back control of their lives. Alight works with its partners and constituencies to provide opportunities and expertise to communities of refugees and internally displaced persons in seven countries in Africa, Asia and Europe, including Iraq, Kosovo, and in the Darfur region of Sudan and is currently providing for emergency relief and recovery in Haiti. Alight provides shelter, clean water and sanitation, health care, skills training, microcredit education, protection to help survivors of war and natural disasters to rebuild their lives with dignity, health care, security and self-sufficiency.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Logistics Manager, the Logistics Officer will be responsible overseeing logistics, administrative and security support cells of ALIGHT Uganda Program. He/she will ensure effective and efficient support services to ALIGHT’s programs, ensure that ALIGHT’s and other applicable procedures and regulations relating to logistics, security and administration are complied with. He/she will be responsible for performing and applying appropriate processes, procedures and policies that support the efficient and effective supply chain and procurement services. He/she will also be responsible for the transit stores, assets and compound management activities ensuring performance according to ALIGHT and Donor guidelines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Premises and Compound Management
- Ensure that all ALIGHT premises are managed in accordance with ALIGHT procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure proper documentation of maintenance needs in coordination with the field operations staffs.
- Follow up repairs and maintenance of the office in relation to plumbing, painting, basic electricity, carpentry, basic masonry and other technical work in coordination with the Logistics Manager, Admin Officer and Logistics and Supply Chain Coordinator.
- Suggest possible maintenance or rehabilitation works of the offices and staff residences in consultations with the Logistics Manager, Admin Officer and Logistics and Supply Chain Coordinator.
- Ensure the follow up of each works within ALLIGHT Uganda Country Office premises accordance to contract terms and conditions.
- Together with the Logistics Manager, discuss and plan possible compound maintenance or rehabilitation works agreement with the Logistics and Supply Chain Coordinator or his appointee.
- Ensure regular health and safety checks carried out of the offices (e.g. fire extinguishers, fire / smoke alarms, fire evacuation procedures, fire blankets, first aid kits, drinking water, garbage disposal, repairs & maintenance, etc) and all health and safety equipment in place and operational.
- Ensure all security guards are deployed timely and monthly guards’ rotation schedules are followed, guards are provided with necessary equipment (phone, torch, rain gear, etc)
- Make monthly reports on the premises to the Logistics Manager and Logistics and Supply Chain Coordinator by the 3rd of every month.
- Receive and recount all supplies and equipment purchased for both Kampala Office and the field sites.
- Carry out joint Inspection on deliveries to confirm that materials delivered conform to the details of the Purchase Order, Delivery Note and or Way Bill and that they are free of any damage before accepting them into the store.
- Store organizational supplies and equipment in line with the operations guidelines.
- Issue stores supplies and materials to different departmental / unit users in Kampala and across the field offices in line with the ARC’s Uganda’s operations guidelines.
- Plan and distribute items from Kampala transit store to all field offices in a timely manner.
- Reconcile the physical stock balances by carrying out periodic stock taking in accordance with stores and procurement guidelines.
- Conduct a comprehensive stock taking exercise and check for replenished items and supplies that have either expired or out of stock.
- Receive users’ departments / units’ requisitions fully authorized, pick, prepack supplies and prepare issue vouchers to acknowledge receipts.
- Generate consumption data for forecasting supplies and determine optimal storage capacity requirements for ARC stock including those of field sites.
- Ensure safety and security of stores, equipment and materials kept in the store.
- Ensure that the store is tidy and well-arranged all the time to ease removal of or getting in materials and or movement of people.
- Timely reporting (dashboard) on warehouse tracker, inventory reports for donors, monthly physical stock count reports.
- Support Logistics Manager in Assets and Stores Management.
- Create equipment issue forms and asset ID cards, maintain and regularly update the records of assets with users and file all corresponding documents in Kampala Office.
- Conduct quarterly physical asset verifications across all offices in line with the operations guidelines.
- Ensure proper storage, management and up keeping of all ALIGHT assets in Kampala and Field office levels.
- Ensure that any movement of assets is properly approved, recorded and documented in the equipment issue forms and asset registers are appropriately updated.
- Maintain a detailed electronic tracking system of all inventory and materials received and issued in line with the stores and donor guidelines.
- Monitor ALIGHT assets using tracking tools, submit incident reports to department head for any incidents of losses, damages and violation of policies.
- Maintain all ALIGHT / donor assets especially computers, tablets, printers, copiers, satellite phone, etc in good condition.
- Manage and maintain the updated asset and inventory registers for the entire ALIGHT Country Program, update them on a daily basis and ensure that all the new assets are tagged / engraved accordingly.
- Prepare incident reports on losses, damages and theft of assets, corresponding Police Reports, file copies for internal records and escalate incidences to the Logistics Manager to follow up insurance claims.
- Manage the Logistics Information Management system for both ALIGHT Kampala.
- Monitor the status of all assets including inventories and spearhead their repairs and maintenance in collaboration with IT Officer.
- Work closely with the Logistics Manager and Logistics and Supply Chain Coordinator (Head of Unit) in all asset disposals for ALIGHT following specific donor procedures and regulations.
- Perform any other duties assigned to you.
- Manage all ALIGHT rentals and lease agreements country wide while tracking their expiry and expedite renewals.
- Looking of office spaces and houses for expatriates as well as make requests for lease agreements and ensure renewals are raced and processed in timely manner.
- Ensure safe and cost-effective staff accommodation as per policy to field staffs.
- Manage and maintain of office buildings, facilities, and utilities for healthy work environment.
- Ensure International in-bound and out-bound travels are well coordinated and supported with vehicles, security briefs and travel logistics notes prior to departures.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Procurement and Logistics Management /or Operations, Business administration, international trade, CIPS or related
- At least two (2) years of work experience with development or relief organizations working in complex emergency situations and/or development settings
- Minimum two (2) years of managing the operations and coordination experience with development/relief programs at comparable job level.
- Familiarity with private, UN, US government and multilateral donor Logistics requirements and working.
- High proficiency in reading, writing and speaking English; also, proficiency in the use of computers and standard application, including use of Information Management Systems (IMS).
- Strong analytical, written and verbal skills
- High level of integrity, accountability and personal ethic
- Good interpersonal skills; ability and inclination to work in/with teams
- High level of self-drive, discipline and desire to achieve
- A go getter requiring minimal supervision to work towards results.
- Willingness to travel and stay for extended periods in remote refugee sites to support work.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 22nd August 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com