Job Title: Systems Administrator (Fresher Jobs)
Organization: Uganda Martyrs University
Duty Station: Nkozi, Mpigi, Uganda
Reports to: Head ICT
Uganda Martyrs University (UMU) is a faith-based private University owned by the Episcopal Conference of the Catholic Bishops of Uganda.
Job Summary: The Systems Administrator will be responsible for the configuration, implementation, and maintenance of the various ICT systems and software technologies at all campuses of UMU. The incumbent will administer and maintain all technology applications infrastructure including the overall server management, software applications, troubleshooting, storage/file management, all network resources administration, email administration, and regular backups.
The Systems Administrator will assist in assessing and identifying all appropriate software and hardware applications to be integrated into UMU’s infrastructure and make recommendations for implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer UMU’s Active Directory
- Maintain network servers such as application servers, file servers, VPN gateways, and intrusion detection systems.
- Administer the university’s mail server
- Maintenance of IP services like DNS, Web servers, Internet Gateways
- Support LANs, WANs, network segments, Internet, and intranet systems.
- Ensure that the design of all systems allows all components to work properly together.
- Ensure efficiency and availability of all Management Information Systems.
- Maintain network and system security as well as perform security updates and patches.
- Explore possibilities of new cost effective and/or open-source technologies based on Linux/UNIX
- Perform regular and scheduled back-up for the various pieces of data and systems as well as perform dummy recoveries of data and systems to ensure their integrity.
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor that may be required from time to time for the smooth running of activities at UMU.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in either Computer Science, Information Technology or Computer Engineering from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- Professional certifications in MCSE, CCNA will be an added advantage.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in a busy environment.
- Good knowledge and understanding of TCP/IP networking is an added advantage
- Must have good knowledge of Virtualization
- Experience in setting up and administering a wide range of Information Systems, preferably in Finance and Education environments is key
- Experience and good understanding of Open-source applications
- Good knowledge and understanding of both Windows and Linux Server administration
- Knowledge of VoIP functionality is an added advantage
How to Apply:
Applications for the post must be accompanied with an up-to-date C.V, copies of relevant documents a current day telephone contact and/or email address. Each application should be accompanied by two confidential recommendations in sealed envelopes from their referees.
Applications should be addressed to:
Director, Human Resources
Uganda Martyrs University
P.O Box 5498, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 19th May 2023