Position overview: AKF is seeking a competent and motivated individual to fill the role of Finance Assistant for the Country Office in Kampala. She/he will ensure efficient routine financial duties and responsibilities, majorly assisting the team with day-to-day accounting tasks ensuring quality, impact, cost effectiveness and efficiency.
• Supporting with the preparation of financial reports timely and accurate and providing the Senior Accountant with information for stakeholder use.
• Ensuring all financial documents are timely and accurately posted for purposes of generating Program financial reports.
• Manage the fixed assets register and all accounting requirements in the assets management e.g., reconciliation of assets.
• Reviewing all payments in line with the laid down policies and procedures before approval for payment is made.
• Ensuring that all Payments are accurately and timely made to vendors as per the AKF Policy
• Support the program team in management of activity advances including participant’s verification and carrying out facilitation payments at activity sites.
• Tracking the Employee advances regularly and following up the recovery process or management action.
• Pre –review /check activity advance requests, accountabilities and reports, staff claims and accountabilities for activity advances.
• Support the preparation of Tax returns including NSSF, PAYE, VAT & Withholding Tax
• Preparation of bank reconciliation statements for all bank accounts and bringing to attention all matters that require action.
• Periodically reviewing the balance sheet accounts and ensuring they are kept current and can be easily identified and reconciled.
• Ensuring that BC routine actions adequately handled, and any issues of concern brought to the attention of the Senior Accountant for action.
Monitoring bank accounts and ensuring adequate liquidity is maintained each month and avoiding risks of negative cash balance.
• Backing up accounting data from the accounting system on a weekly basis and securing it as per laid down guidelines.
• Ensure that all accounting documents are properly reviewed, approved, referenced, and ensure orderly filing and maintenance of accounting vouchers and transactions support documents to ease future reference in accordance with AKF policies and are available for checking at all times.
• Management of the operation of bank accounts
• Management of the petty cash
• Compliance with donor grants agreement and AKF policies and procedures manual
• Supporting processes relating to both Internal and External Audits
Required Skills & Experience:
• A bachelor’s degree in accounting & finance, Business Computing, Commerce, Economics, Business Administration, or related field.
• CPA accreditation is a bonus.
• At least two (2) years financial administration experience.
• Ability to use own initiative and actively look for opportunities to have an impact rather than simply be reactive.
Good knowledge of Microsoft Office products Word, Excel and PPT and other relevant software and tools
• Ability to work under pressure and efficiently handle multiple tasks.
• Ability to work under own initiative or as a part of a team; and
• Excellent written and spoken English.
Closing Date : 27th November, 2023