Job Title: Finance Assistant (Temporary Job Opening)
Organisation: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Service Line Manager/ Chief of Unit
Job Opening ID: 227647
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE) was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities. This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Finance Assistant is responsible for the following functions:
- Assists with the processing of non-travel related commercial vendors’ invoices and payments to vendors providing goods or services to all RSCE Client Missions (processing invoices resulting from commitments such as purchase orders, fund commitments, direct expenditures, medical clinic invoices and replenishment of petty cash.
- Assist in the development of the Service Line’s annual budget development program, particularly with respect to the establishment of major resourcing priorities, and prepare cost estimates and budget proposals, in line with the Service Line’s resourcing requirements. Review, analyze and revise data with respect to the finalization of the budget proposals as well as Result Based Budgeting inputs.
- Prepares staff members’ entitlements including claims, danger pay, daily subsistence allowance, mission subsistence allowance for Government Provided Personnel, Civilian Police and Staff Officers, volunteer living allowance and any other allowances for payments in conformity and adherence to applicable United Nations policies e.g., staff rules, financial regulations and rules, ST/AI issuances or practices, IPSAS policy framework etc.
- Assists in the review of completeness of documentation supporting invoices and payment requests; Process vendors payments in Umoja after verification of accuracy and consistency with Purchase Order and Goods Receipt/Service Certification; Advise Vendors, Procurement, SAU, R&I, etc. of any missing documentation or anomalies that may delay payment within one business day; Make close follow up to obtain missing documentation; Maintain record of pending issues, update case files weekly; Respond to queries from Vendors, Procurement, SAU, R&I, etc. ; Measure performance against established KPI’s; vendor open items monthly.
- Assists in the verification of transfers to other house banks, imprest payment and preparation of statement, as well as preparation of remittance requests to UNHQ and projection of off-cycle payments to UNMISS; Answering queries from staff members, vendors, missions, other house banks; Keeping accurate records for the purpose of auditing, and performance reports.
- Process Assignment Grants, Relocation Grants, and DSA payments. Approve and create profile in Progen for payroll.
- Prepare advance payment request; Initiate BP requests; Process daily allowances for TCCs / PCCs (Troop Contributing Countries and Police Contributing Countries); Process MSA; Process final and withheld payments (as well as recoveries); Payment of DHL invoices; Release payroll, and payments for entitlements.
- Perform other duties as and when required by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Finance Assistant job must hold a High School Diploma or equivalent. Required.
- A qualification or certification in finance, accounting, or audit is desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in financial management, administrative services or related area is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to three (3) for candidates who possess a first level degree or higher.
- Experience in administration of a broad range of Allowances and Payments using Systems Applications and Products (SAP) or Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software e.g. Umoja or similar is required.
- Experience in application of UN or other similar international organization Financial Rules and Regulations in an operational environment is desirable.
- Experience in a shared service center or similar setup is desirable.
- Languages: fluency in English, oral and written is required; Knowledge of French is desirable.
- Professionalism – Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, draw conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 12th February 2024