Job Title: Logistics Assistant
Organisation: United Nations Department of Operational Support (DOS)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 23-Logistics and Supply Chain-DOS-205077-R-Entebbe (M)
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) provides operational support to all UN Secretariat entities, including advisory, operational and transactional support services and, where needed, exercises delegated authority on behalf of clients. DOS supports the entire UN Secretariat, consisting of almost 100 entities located around the globe.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Logistics Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in the development, planning, publishing and coordination of projected tasks schedules and support requirements for surface transport assets.
- Assist in coordinating with client missions on matters pertaining to ground movements.
- Assist in processing assigned Task Order Requests for all movements and in reviewing/analyzing task requests for cargo movements.
- Assist in the preparation of freight forwarding services SOR for the region in collaboration with client missions·
- Assist in developing plans for the efficient and cost-effective utilization of UN assets, and assets of other UN agencies.
- Assist in conducting capacity surveys of relevant transportation infrastructure in the region, including potential transport commercial contractors.
- Assist in monitoring the technical and safety performance of surface transport assets and keep a record of their utilization and scheduled maintenance.
- Assist in collecting and analyzing data for air, surface movements, including operations and cargo data.
- Maintain records of cargo movement including requests, operational reports, related statistical data, cargo manifests, and customs documents and any other movement documentation required.
- Assist in developing and implementing air, surface transport standard operating procedures (SOPs) in compliance with the UN Regulations, UN Manual and procedures and the host country laws and regulations.
- Assist in developing air, surface transport administrative, logistics and technical support objectives and guidelines to effectively support the client missions.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by the Chief.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Department of Operational Support (DOS) Logistics Assistant job must hold a High school diploma or equivalent. Required.
- Certificate or training in the planning, coordination and control of at least two (2) modes of transport is required.
- A valid International Air Transport Association (IATA) and/or International Maritime Organization (IMO) in dangerous goods certificate is required.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in movement control/logistics operations is required.
- Experience using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems such as SAP (Umoja) is desirable.
- Experience in analyzing data for supply chain is desirable.
- Experience working with business intelligence systems and data analysis tools is desirable.
- Languages: fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the online portal link below.
Deadline: 11th May 2023