Job Title: Principal Research Officer – Biochemist
Organisation: National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Director of Research
The National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO) is mandated to coordinate, oversee and guide agricultural research in Uganda. Over the years, NARO has generated technologies and products with Intellectual Property (IP) and commercial potential guided by relevant policies under her mission of innovating for sustainable agricultural transformation.
Job Summary: The Principal Research Officer – Biochemist will study biochemical, physiological and chemical structures and function of plants, animals and micro-organisms such as bacteria and viruses and use research to develop industrial and agricultural products.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, design, and evaluate the composition and function of catalytic proteins and other biological molecules
- Investigate the genetic, physiological, chemical, physical and structural composition of cells, tissues and organisms
- Investigate the control of metabolism, growth and development of plants, animals and micro-organisms
- Identify cellular and developmental events that insure continuity of plant life to improve priority crops
- Determine the influence of internal and external environments in plants, animals and micro-organism
- Apply diversified knowledge of scientific research principles, practices, and protocols in the conduct of research projects
- Develop and test new biochemical products
- Participate in the formulation of strategic management plans for the research institute including development of annual work plans and budgets
- Develop grant proposals to secure funding for conducting specific research programmes in line with the institute’s strategic management plan and identified research priorities
- Prepare analyse, concept papers, technical and scientific papers and reports as well as other documentation for publication and dissemination
- Provide technical leadership and consultation to team members, professional co-workers and other collaborators
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the National Agricultural Research Organization job should hold a PhD in biochemistry, Chemistry, Plant physiology or equivalent qualifications
- Excellent leadership, inter personal and communication skills including demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in teams.
- Six years’ experience at the level of Senior Research Officer or equivalent experience from a reputable organisation.
- The applicant should have conducted research and published as first author and/or co-author of at least ten articles in peer reviewed journals.
- The applicant should have successfully supervised three post-graduate students in the past five years
- Age Limit: Not more than 55 years
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested persons should submit three sets of applications together with a detailed curriculum vitae giving telephone and e-mail addresses; and names and addresses of 3 (three) referees as well as copies of academic certificates and testimonials to the undersigned.
Applicants are advised to quote the reference number of the post applied for on the top left-hand corner of the envelope.
Applicants should not apply for more than Two Posts
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and notified via NARO website, telephones, and e-mail addresses as provided on the CV. Short-listed candidates will be required to provide certified copies of their Academic Qualifications.
Only applications responding to this advert and attendant timelines will be received.
The Director General,
National Agricultural Research Organization,
P.O. Box 295, Entebbe
Deadline: 23rd February 2024