Job Title: Food Systems Specialist (Policy and Programme)
Organisation: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has a global mandate to improve nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to global economic’ growth. Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts – to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
Job Summary: The Food Systems Expert will provide support to the development of country-based processes for replicable and scalable food systems governance programmes in Uganda. In particular the Expert would support the assistance provided to strengthen the policy and institutional environment conducive to food systems transformation in line with existing commitments and the priorities identified through data and analysis as well as interventions identified in the national dialogues, and reflected in the Uganda Food System transformation pathway.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Food Systems Transformation and governance
- Ensure smooth follow up and support of policy and political economy analysis conducted in partnership with Kiel University under the project FMM/150/GLO/MUL.
- Support the consolidation of governance analysis, including stakeholder analysis and political analysis for identification of most effective policy mix supporting food systems transformation
- Provide technical assistance to the GoU, in particular to the OPM, MAAIF and NPA, to identifyy the most effective inter-institutional and multi-stakeholder coordination and participation mechanisms to support the Food systems Tranformation Agenda in Uganda.
- Provide technical support to the GoU’s Food Systems Strategic Analysis to consolidate policy actions under NDP III and other relevant policy frameworks in order to inform the Food Systems Transformation Plan (FSTP).
- Lead organization of validation workshops for endorsement and operationalization of results emerging from policy, governance and political economy analysis conducted under the project.
- Coordinate with FAOUG focal point for Hand in Hand Initiative to ensure linkages and complementarity between the two projects;
- Advise the GoU in harmonizing and coordinating existing policy frameworks on Food and Nutrition Security under the NDP III – including but not limited to Agro-industrialization programme, Regional Development Programmes, National Strategy towards Zero Hunger, Uganda Nutrition Action Plan II and the Multi-Sectoral Nutrition Policy- seeking policy coherence and convergence towards reaching all 17 SDGs by 2030.
- Assist the GoU in the Development of a evidence-based Food Systems Transformation Plan aligned to national identified priorities and key policies and programmes including, the Food System Summit pathway, the National Development Plan (NDP III 2021-2025) and other relevant policy frameworks.
Advocacy and communication
- In collaboration with the Governance, Partnership and Food Systems officer, assist FAO to strengthen its advocacy work on FNS and Agrifood Systems Transformation. In particular, reaching out to the Uganda Parliamentary Alliance for Food and Nutrition Security (UPAN-FNS), the Parliamentary Select Committee on Agriculture and Food Security, The Food Right Alliance (FRA), the CEPROHT, CONSENT and other CSO has to advance the Agenda of Agrifood System Transformation trough advocacy to build resilient, inclusive and sustainable food systems in Uganda.
- Plan, organize and participate in meetings, capacity development activities and training workshops, including around institutional capacities to strengthen integrated action and implementation, and oversees the development of related materials and reports;
- Prepare reports to FAO, the donor and the National Government on progress achievement and issues related to project implementation; ensuring continuous communication and information flow between national stakeholders and HQ project coordinator and technical task force.
- Perform any other required duty related to project implementation.
- Perform any other duty as instructed by the FAOR
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a university degree in political sciences, policy and governance, political economy, development economics, agronomy, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture and natural resources management, social sciences, and related field or proven relevant experience in the above fields;
- At least seven years of relevant experience in policy advice and analysis relating to food security, nutrition, agriculture and rural development, and food system governance and political economy. Demonstrated experience in working on similar assignments in particular in African countries;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in political economy, governance, policy analysis and advise related to sustainable food systems, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture and rural development;
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies, multi-stakeholder alliances, and multidisciplinary teams in particular in Africa.
- Extent and relevance of experience in strengthening inclusive local and national food supply, in particular market and value chain development
- Conversant with agrifood systems transformation work
- Demonstrated experience in political economy analysis and support to governance and multi-stakeholder participation in policy making
- Demonstrated experience working on trade-policy related matters
- Very good understanding of Food Security, Nutrition and Health-policy related matters
- Demonstrated experience and carrying out policy Dialogue with Government and other relevant stakeholders
- Highly analytical and writing skills (Concept Note, Policy Brief and Project Proposals, etc.)
- Good understanding of International Development Architecture and Aid Modalities
- Demonstrated capacity in data use and analysis
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 6th September 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com