Job Title: Driver (NGO Jobs)
Organisation: Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Job Summary: The Driver is responsible for transporting NRC staff, visitors, documents and goods/materials to designated destinations when officially approved within an area, country or other location.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Driver shall strictly follow the traffic rules and speed limits applicable, and shall always drive in a safe, considerate and defensive manner. In case of an accident the driver shall ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations are followed, including filling in the accident report form.
- The Driver is responsible for cleaning and daily maintenance of the vehicle and shall ensure that it is in a safe running condition. He/she is also responsible for checking of oil level, water level, battery, brakes, tires, etc., and that the vehicle is at all times equipped with a first aid kit, a good spare tire and all prescribed tools and equipment. He/she will report promptly and in writing to NRC is some tools are missing.
- The driver is responsible for filling the logbook for all trips and to ensure that other drivers that may use the vehicle to do the same.
- The Driver shall ensure that all required licenses, insurance cards and vehicle permits are valid and available in the vehicle incl. accident reports. He/she must also ensure that own driving licence and other relevant driving papers are up to date.
- The Driver shall follow the instructions given in the Checklist from the NRC Drivers’ Manual.
- The Driver is responsible for performing minor repairs. If major repairs are needed these should be reported to the supervisor before making arrangements.
- The Driver shall provide logistical support to NRC Teams during field missions, trainings and workshops.
- The Driver shall assist the Logistics Assistant with receiving, storing, picking and packing goods for the NRC warehouse/storeroom.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE)
- Valid driver’s license
- Certification in Defensive Driving / Road Safety Awareness / First Aid courses
- At least three years of experience of working as a Driver in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Good communication skills (verbal & written) in English and local language
- Good communication skills
- Have a valid in country registered license.
- Have security sense.
- Enable to support teamwork.
- Resident of the Area and have knowledge of local context.
- Fluency in local languages
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 27th April 2023