Job Title: Knowledge Management Specialist
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an independently governed institute within the College of Health Sciences at Makerere University and has the mission “To strengthen health systems in Africa, with a strong emphasis on infectious diseases, through research and capacity development.” IDI has operations across Uganda as well as in a number of other African countries and has a staffing of over 1,000 managing multiple projects in research, clinical services, public health and training.
Centres for Antimicrobial Optimisation Network (CAMO-NET) is a Wellcome Trust funded project at the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) that aims to address the global impact of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) on human health via optimised antimicrobial use. It will establish a sustainable global research ecosystem across high-income countries (HICs) and low- and middle-income countries (LMICs).
Job Summary: The Knowledge Management Specialist (KMS) will develop and update the knowledge management plan. S/he will ensure that there is consistent attention to knowledge management and learnings and reporting within the CAMO-NET Consortium. S/he will collaborate with Principal Investigators (PIs) to provide support and guidance on knowledge management and utilisation activities within the CAMO-NET Consortium and Research Programme at IDI. The KMS will rely on understanding of CAMO-NET research projects objectives and adjusting impact statement theories of change, based on emerging learning and changes in context with the research findings. S/he will organize quarterly reflection and learning sessions with project teams in the CAMO-NET Consortium. S/he will capture, manage and share generated knowledge/learnings and ensure that its utilisation in development of guidelines, training, advocacy and incorporation in new projects such as data science in the CAMO-NET Consortium. S/he will maintain, add and edit content of CAMO-NET communications.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the PIs to provide direction, support and leadership for the knowledge management and utilisation aspects of the CAMO-NET projects.
- Manage critical knowledge collection in information management system.
- Integrate new knowledge collections and additions to existing IDI knowledge management and utilisation framework.
- Develop CAMO-NET promotional and stakeholder engagement content for distribution.
- Develops, maintains, and improves policies, procedures, and workflows to promote responsible antimicrobial use.
- Supports the Principal Investigator and Research Dept. leadership with strategic planning and the implementation of initiatives designed to further the IDI’s knowledge management and utilisation strategy.
- Engage IDI and the community with knowledge products/learnings by organizing reflection sessions workshops, presentations, and other public engagement programs.
- Develops content for press releases and reviews and edits responsible antimicrobial use promotional materials.
- Organises and oversees training sessions for research staff on knowledge management and utilisation under the CAMO-NET.
- Collaborates with the Communications Unit, Documentation and Data Utilisation Unit and Information Services to promote open access to IDI knowledge products through website and other platforms.
- Provides quality control, technical support and oversight as needed for CAMO-NET knowledge management and learning.
- Assists with editing content such as articles, news releases, media pitches, ad copy, memos, reports, and other forms of communication on CAMO-NET.
- Creates and disseminates quarterly CAMO-NET project newsletters and annual project reports
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education in related field (Preferred: health related courses or a Social Science-related discipline).
- Knowledge management and utilisation experience related to Wellcome Trust funded projects for at least 2 years will be an added advantage.
- Able to deal with multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgement, technology, organisation, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management, conflict resolution, and presentation skills
- Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (e.g. Microsoft Office suite)
- Able to develop and maintain relationships with other units.
- Knowledge of partnerships and event management
- Able to work collaboratively and effectively with a broad range of constituents, including research scientists, research staff and partners
- Able to work in a high energy environment under pressure
- Able to communicate creatively, for example through art, graphic design, writing or other approaches
- Strong attention to detail and follows up skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 2nd May 2023