Job Title: Gender Manager
Organization: Action Against Hunger (ACF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Action Against Hunger-ACF, worldwide is recognized as a leader in the fight against malnutrition, with a purpose to save the lives of undernourished children while providing communities with access to safe water and sustainable solutions to hunger. ACF implements innovative and life-saving programs in the sectors of Nutrition, Food Security & Livelihoods (FSL), and Water, Sanitation, & Hygiene (WASH) through capacity building projects in collaboration with government structures. Over the past 30 years of ACF has been delivering robust operations in Uganda and has gained significant knowledge and expertise using a multi-sectoral approach to design and implement program intervention based on the context, geared towards long-term solutions to hunger both in refugee and Host communities. Since 2013, the organization has been worked in the refugee settlements of Northern and Western Uganda providing emergency response as well as long-term development interventions.
Job Summary: The Gender Manager leads the design & implementation of the gender strategy, plan, policies, programs, initiatives and spearheads the integration of gender in all aspects of the organization. S/he will work closely with sector/ department heads and employees to identify areas where gender disparities exist and develop strategies to address them. The Gender Manager will also work to foster an inclusive and supportive culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the country office management to develop, adapt and implement proven and innovative approaches, policies, practices for promoting and building an inclusive and equal office culture and environment in Action Against Hunger.
- Provides technical support to program team to apply sector specific approaches to deliver more gender equitable and safe programming
- Monitor program implementation and produce reports to demonstrate impact, progress against action plans and inform ongoing and future program design
- Review and provide input into proposal writing, annual reports, work plans and budgets.
- Developing and implementing gender-sensitive policies and practices: The Gender Manager may work with other departments to develop policies and practices that take into account the different needs and experiences of employees of different genders. For example, they might work with the facilities department to ensure that the workplace is designed in a way that is inclusive of people of all genders.
- Conducting gender-based data analysis: analyze data on issues such as pay equity, promotion rates, and employee engagement, to identify areas where gender disparities exist and to track progress over time.
- Providing education and training: develop and deliver training programs on topics such as unconscious bias, inclusive leadership, and gender sensitivity.
- Partnering with external organizations: collaborate with external organizations such as industry groups, non-profits, and academic institutions to share best practices, stay up-to-date on trends, and benchmark progress.
- Managing diversity and inclusion initiatives: work with HR and management team to develop and implement initiatives that promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace more broadly, beyond just gender-related issues.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Master’s, degree in Gender Studies, Human Rights, Social Work & Social Administration, Development Studies, Social Sciences or other relevant field.
- A minimum of eight or more years work experience managing gender programs & interventions
- Partner Management experience
- Familiarity with INGO project management procedures.
- Experience in capacity building/facilitation skills.
- Computer literacy with standard business software (including Word, Excel and Power Point).
- Must be capable of working independently to implement the duties described above.
- Conceptual thinker with excellent organizational skills, management skills and attention to detail
- Conversant with national and global/international policies, laws on gender issues and related human rights.
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders including government ministries, agencies, local officials is desired
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 5th May 2023