Job Title: Driver
Organisation: War Child Holland (WCH)
Duty Station: Yumbe, Uganda
Reports to: Team Leader
Salary Range: UGX Gross (1,142,717 – 1,759,160)
War Child Holland (WCH) is an independent and impartial international non-governmental organization, investing in a peaceful future for children and young people affected by armed conflict. War Child is a dynamic organization with a lot of room for creativity, inspiration and self-initiative from employees. We strive to empower children and young people while enabling adults to bring about positive and lasting change in the lives of conflict-affected children and young people.
Job Summary: The driver is primarily responsible for providing driving services, logistics, minor vehicle maintenance and security safety for WCH Uganda staff and activities.
Objective of the job
- To ensure safety during driving by following Ugandan traffic laws and WCH internal guideline.
- To properly and reliably ensure that the vehicle is serviced and maintained to the required standard.
- Ensure proper recording of vehicle mileage and accurate filling of vehicle records.
- To perform basic logistics and administrative tasks
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive vehicles carefully, safety and within the required speed limit in accordance to the Uganda traffic Laws and WCH regulations.
- Safely transport War Child personnel, guests and goods while providing convenient breaks and treating passengers with courtesy, respect and friendliness.
- Ensure proper travel and route planning is made to accomplish tasks in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Engage in proactive suggestions about vehicle use and safety while observing the policy of having the vehicle parked in an authorized place before 6pm.
- Ensure all vehicle movements do not start before 6:30am unless authorized by line manager or CD.
- Run office errands (payment of bills, shopping, etc.) as directed by the line manager r and Senior officer staff;
- Keep the vehicle in good mechanical condition, carry out daily checks and immediately faults, , scratches, accidents, etc to the line managerCarry out daily checks and minor repairs including check/topup of engine oil, window wiper, radiator, air pressure of tires, brake fluid, fastening of battery terminal, oil leakage under car, and ensure its cleanliness both inside and outside always
- Notify the Line manager (preferably one week in advance) of any repair or regular maintenance required to the vehicle;
- Ensure vehicle inspection during and after service is done to ascertain complete and good standard work is done. A certificate of repairs MUST be signed off.
- Ensures that WCH vehicles have proper documentation such as insurance, logbook, consent forms, etc.
- Monitor the use of vehicles and fuel consumption through analysis of log books monthly.
- Ensure that the fuel tank is always sufficiently filled at the end of the day shift and full before the weekends.
- Fill in the logbook accurately after every trip.
- Keep proper records of transport of goods using way-bills and other forms according to WCH procedures.
- Fully obey the driving laws of the country. This includes the use of seatbelts, speed limits and absence of using alcohol and/or other drugs and phone while driving. Ensures the passenger does the same.
- To maintain the vehicle medical box, fire extinguisher and tool kit at all times whilst in charge of vehicle.
- To perform any other activity assigned by the manager, in line with this job description
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should have completed Secondary level (O level)
- MUST have a valid driving license with B, CM, DM & DL class
- At least three years of driving experience with medium size org preferable INGO
- Good knowledge of Ugandan Traffic Laws and Regulations
- Knowledge of West Nile/South Western regions is an added advantage
- Proper attitude and focused
- Good verbal expressions skills
- Fluency in English language
- Accurate, consistent and transparent
- Ability to work independent
- Highly skilled in driving vehicles
- In-depth knowledge of checking vehicle for problems and performing preemptive maintenance
- Thorough understanding of motor vehicle engine functionality
- Able to demonstrate a high level of courtesy and professionalism to passengers and coworkers
- Ability to provide a secure environment for passengers and employer while in transit
NB: Commitment to the vision and goals of War Child Holland in Uganda, including adherence to the Child Safeguarding Policy, is essential”
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.