Job Title: MEAL Manager
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
Job Summary: The MEAL Manager will be responsible for ensuring that Country Program project meets its Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) commitments in the respective location. S/he will support design, manage implementation, and ensure compliance to MEAL systems, policies, and procedures. The position holder will facilitate and manage the roll-out and implementation of the MEAL activities, coordinate data collection and performance reporting against project indicators within the location, ensure accountability to stakeholders and clients and build strong relationships and support the project team at field level to understand and contribute appropriately to the MEAL functions. S/he will work in coordination with the field project team to ensure that MEAL is integral to project implementation and decision-making and continuous improvement of the projects. The MEAL Manager will also support IRC global and measurement initiative under the integrated programming.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Management for high quality monitoring and evaluation
- Provide technical support to enable field staff to implement protocols and plans safely, ethically, and rigorously.
- Support development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation annual workplans, budgets, and deliverables.
- Build capacity of field staff as well as partner teams in indicators, routine monitoring, and MEL SOPs.
- Support project staff by creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes teamwork, trust, mutual respect and empowers staff to take responsibility.
- Ensure protocols are followed in conjunction with the Country Program procedures.
- Participate and contribute to regular MEAL reviews, project cycle management meetings and team meetings for progress reporting, documentation and learning events.
- Coordinate and provide direct supervision, roles orientation, coaching and performance management of MEAL officers, assistants, and volunteers.
Data management and reporting:
- Review existing M&E tools, systems and approaches and design various data collection tools, lead data collection processes and ensure high quality data is collected.
- Coordinate and Supervise MEAL Officers and assistants in ensuring quality data entered into designated databases.
- Perform Data Quality Assessments (DQAs) and ensure that programs generate quality data through monitoring visits, spot checks and regular data verifications.
- Build capacity of program and MEAL staff in understanding indicators, provide on job support and mentoring, and design trainings on data quality, management and analysis based on staff and MEAL training needs and conduct follow up of each training.
- Collaborate and work in coordination with program staff to ensure that data is timely collected, accurately reported, and used consistently in continuous improvement of project.
- Establish and ensure timely data flow, quality checks, and audits, and updating of data visualization/indicator dashboards from respective location.
- Keep track of the project reporting requirements and deadlines and provide location specific MEAL information to preparing reports.
- Prepare/contribute towards the development of quality reports (annual, quarterly, and monthly) and project indicator performance trackers, feedback, and dissemination to staff and project stakeholders.
- Participate in the design and implementation of project specific assessments, surveys such as baseline and end line performance measurements, research evaluations and impact studies.
Disseminating Quality Data:
- Present and drive the use of Program Indicator Dashboards (PID) and other data visualizations for project teams and other key audiences.
- Ensure that data from monitoring activities are disseminated and used to adjust and adapt programming over time.
- Leverage existing IRC staff and partner expertise or build capacity as needed to assure front-line staff participation in the interpretation and application of results, as well as design of data use plans and learning agendas.
Collaboration and accountability with external stakeholders:
- Establish and maintain solid cooperation with partner organizations as we design and refine the monitoring and evaluation system in the field.
- Represent, contribute, and participate as required to sector specific, inter-departmental and cross sector activities in-country, across the consortium and externally.
- Organize, contribute to and /or participate in regular field monitoring, accountability, reporting and cross learning across the project.
- Ensure that high quality analysis reports to illustrate IRC’s impact and assessment findings are produced, including evidence of good practice and replicable programs, and that they are communicated at appropriate events.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a university degree in a relevant field such as Statistics, Business Statistics, Demography, Economics, Public Health, Social sciences, or other field relevant to monitoring and evaluation or project management.
- A minimum of two years of working experience in Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning-related functions.
- Experience in humanitarian and/or development context and with an International NGO. Experience in supporting education projects will be an added advantage.
- Technical skills in setting up quality M&E/MEAL processes and creating logical frameworks and data analysis that leads to learning and action.
- A strong understanding of accountability and proven ability to build Client Feedback Systems.
- Proficiency and experience with mobile data collection such as Kobo, Commcare, ODK Collect is vital as well as proficiency with Microsoft Excel, SPSS, STATA, or other similar software.
- Knowledge of Tableau, PowerBi, or GIS software tools are additional assets.
- Self-motivated with good organization, planning skills, including prioritizing work and multi-tasking.
- Proven ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring, and other formal and non-formal methods together with presentation and reporting skills are a strong asset.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 29th April 2023