Organisation: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 23-Protocol-RSCE-207432-J-Entebbe (O)
Reports to: Administrative Officer
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE) was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities. This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
Job Summary: This position is in the Office of the Director, Administration of the Regional Service Centre in Entebbe (RSCE). The incumbent reports to the Administrative Officer in the Front Office of the Director RSCE and supports the protocol/diplomatic related duties, coordinate and support official visits of UN High Level Delegations and Senior Management Staff and provide related protocol services to RSCE Staff and various UN Missions in Entebbe, as well as all UN Missions in Africa (Offices of the Special Representatives of the Secretary-General, Chief of Staff, Legal Office; amongst others). S/he also supports the smooth operation of the daily activities of the Protocol Office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Protocol Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Prepare and submit Note Verbales, follow up with Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and receipt of response/ documents on the following:
- Briefing on accreditation and access issues; as well as arranging and coordinating special needs and requests of visiting dignitaries such as RSCE officials to use the VIP Lounge at Entebbe International Airport/border entry points.
- Introduction and registration of new RSCE high level staff members assigned to work in Uganda and brief them about protocol matters and local customs.
- Providing support in organizing meetings for major events, liaising with government officials and delegation representatives, schedule appointments with high-ranking official visitors and Director RSCE to meet high Government officials.
- Assists in liaising with Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and drafting of note verbale and receipt/response on following:
- Supporting International Staff to obtain proper documentations related to their status in the host country (work permits, dependent passes, specials passes, international/Diplomatic Organization IDs).
- Liaison with the Ministry of Internal Affairs regarding issues of the staff visa and lost Passports.
- Providing assistance to staff member and their families upon installations, assignment, and reassignment to Uganda, with lost baggage claiming and tracking.
- Tax exemptions for various UN Entities at Entebbe Support Base (MONUSCO RSCE, OIOS, Ombudsman Office, UNMAS, UNMISS, UNISFA, MINUSCA, Civilian Pre-deployment Training), UN Contractors and Consultants based in Uganda:
- Preparing Note Verbales to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) receipt of response/documents on various matters (Duty free clearance of vehicles
- Transfer of ownerships of vehicles.
- Allocation/cancellations of red number plates for all ESB and tenants – Personal effect of staff checking-in.
- Clearance of firearms such weapons and ammunitions.
- Clearance for Contingent Owned Equipment (COE) – Clearance for the use of Uganda airspace.
- Clearance of medical supplies.
- Duty free fuel for UN contractors.
- Procurement meeting and handling of documents to relevant offices).
- Support to MONUSCO staff and clients regarding visa processing:
- Prepare Note Verbales to the Embassies requesting for visa for staff travelling on official duties.
- Prepare to Whom It May Concern letter in case of non-representation of Embassies in Uganda.
- Prepare Note Verbales for cancellations of Passports for Human Remains repatriation.
- Support to all UN Missions in Africa (SRSGs Office, Chief of Staff, Legal Office; amongst others):
- Prepare Note Verbales to MOFA on legal issues (investigation cases).
- Prepare Note Verbales for sale/destruction of UN used properties.
- Drafts routine correspondence (congratulations, condolences, apologies, invitations) for signature.
- Reviews and maintains the RSCE’s Protocol and VIP lists.
- Undertakes any additional assignments requested by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Protocol Assistant job should have completed a High school diploma or equivalent.
- Technical training and certification in journalism or broadcasting, communications, public information, or a particular communications medium is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in protocol office, budgetary and administrative functions is highly recommended.
- At least seven (07) years of relevant experience in protocol services, events management or related areas is required.
- Languages: fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of the local language may be essential.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors’ language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; -Uses time efficiently.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 9th May 2023