Job Title: Driver (3 Job Vacancies)
Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Mbale, Uganda
Funding Source: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Project Name: Promoting Integrated Landscape Management approach for conservation of the Mt Elgon Ecosystem in Eastern Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
Job Ref: PILM/ADV/EXT/01/2023
The National Environment Management Authority (hereinafter called “NEMA”) was established under the National Environment Act, Cap.153 in May 1995 and continued under the National Environment Act No.5 of 2019 as the principal agency for environment management in Uganda charged with regulating, supervising and coordinating all activities relating to the environment.
About UNEP Project:
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) has on behalf of Government of Uganda received financial support from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) through the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) for a project on “Promoting Integrated Landscape Management approach for conservation of the Mt Elgon Ecosystem in Eastern Uganda”.
The Goal of the project is to “enhance conservation of ecosystems that provide critical goods and services for rural livelihoods and food security in the Mt. Elgon landscape” while its objective is to “transition the Mt. Elgon landscape to a sustainable, biodiverse, climate-resilient, integrated landscape with efficient coffee and staple crops (maize, beans, banana and Irish potato) value chains.”
Job Summary: The Driver will transport staff and documents to partners and stakeholders as required. The drivers are responsible for timely and safe transportation of project teams, delivery of documents and any other item(s) as may be required while exhibiting the highest standards and professionalism in delivery of the services. The drivers should have a high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide reliable and secure driving services to project staff to various locations including travel to field areas;
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
- Proper use of the vehicle
- Ensures proper day- to-day maintenance and cleanliness of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.;
- Responsible for ensuring that his driving license is valid at all times and for conforming to the traffic regulations and for meeting requirements for driving motor vehicles driven by him;
- In case the vehicle is involved in accident, he should ensure that the necessary steps taken conform to rules and regulations;
- Regularly inspect the validity of the vehicle’s license, insurance, and inform the immediate supervisor when the renewal is due;
- Ensure that the immediate supervisor is informed immediately if anything irregular happens to the project vehicles and suggest the necessary steps;
- Ensures that records/logbook for the vehicle’s mileage, performance and cost of upkeep of the vehicle assigned to him are kept as required
- Assists management in identifying and purchasing necessary spare part for office vehicles; undertakes minor repair of vehicles under the administrative custody of the company and obtains quotations on cost of vehicle repairs;
- Undertakes delivery of documents and related materials ensuring safe carrying of packages, mail or any documents, parcels or other articles entrusted to him for transporting as assigned by the immediate supervisor;
- Assists in logistical preparations as and when necessary, ensuring flexibility in working hours and over the weekend;
- Performs official errands as required
- Performs any other tasks as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Uganda Certificate of Education (Ordinary level) Certificate;
- Clean and Valid driver’s license of either CH, DH, DM or E
- At least five years of driving experience with safe driving record, preferably within a project;
- Experiences working with National/ International Projects;
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is a must;
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations;
- Basic elementary knowledge of motor vehicles mechanics including being able to undertake minor repairs is an added advantage;
- Being able to drive long distances multiple times;
- Good interpersonal skills, honesty and transparency.
How to Apply:
All potential candidates should download an application form, Download Here, and fill the form and attach “O” and “A” level certificates, Bachelor’s and Postgraduate Degree Transcripts and Certificates, Professional certificates where applicable and Employment letters in one pdf file named: “Position-Name of Applicant”.
The one pdf file should be submitted to email@example.com
Applications not in one pdf file and those arriving after closing time will not be considered.
Deadline: 12th May 2023