Job Title: Financial Management Specialist
Organisation: Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Coordinator, MGLSD
Job Summary: The Financial Management Specialist will carry out financial management (FM) work in respect to GROW Project implementation. S/He will manage and monitor all the financial activities of the project in line with the international and the Government of Uganda (GoU) financial regulations and performing analytical work on financial management and financial accountability issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Head of Accounts in MGLSD and the Project Coordinator in managing all the Project finances in accordance with the approved financial controls by both the Government of Uganda and the World Bank.
- Prepare project budgets in conjunction with activity managers subject for approval.
- Participate in the review of the Project Operations Manual and development of other necessary documents and manuals with emphasis on the financial Management.
- Prepare any documentation in relation to financial management as required by the MGLSD and the World Bank.
- Coordinate and assess the capacities of local governments to submit accountability documents for funds released.
- Vet and advise the accounting officer on fund requisitions as per project implementation plans.
- Responsible for managing disbursements from donor and for program activities
- Coordinate and facilitate internal and external audits for the project activities and implement audit recommendations.
- Ensure that monthly statutory returns are submitted to the relevant authorities such as PAYE, NSSF and WHT.
- Maintain all project accounting information/records in a complete and orderly manner.
- Update records of financial transactions in accounting system.
- Ensure preparation of monthly bank reconciliation statements for the project.
- Prepare monthly receipts and expenditure reports including variance analysis and advise management of the same.
- Ensure that all payments made for project activities comply with the Financing Agreement.
- Ensure compliance with Government’s Treasury Accounting Instructions 2003 under the Public Finance Management Act 2015 and Project Financial management Manual
- Supervise, appraise and provide guidance to staff supporting the Financial Management function under the project.
- Prepare quarterly Interim Financial (IFRs) and any other management reports required from time to time
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Project Coordinator.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Time taken to generate draft project annual budget.
- Time taken to submit quarterly IFRs.
- Time taken to submit project audits
- Number of disbursement requests prepared
- Time taken to update books of accounts
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum qualification of Masters’ Degree in Commerce or Business Administration or Financial Management (Accounting Option) and related disciplines.
- Professional Accounting qualification such as ACCA, CPA should be a must.
- At least eight years of practical experience in accounting and operational procedures of which three (3 years) with World Bank funded projects
- Excellent knowledge of the relevant Accounting Computer packages will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in Government Integrated Financial management system (IFMS) is a requirement and not added advantage
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified applicants should submit applications including a cover letter, current curriculum vitae and copies of academic certificates and transcripts, to be delivered at MGLSD’s General Registry on 2nd Floor, Gender and Labour House, Plot 2, George Street. Applications should include the Reference Number and Position applied for. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Ministry of Gender Labour and Social Development
Gender and Labour House, Plot 2, George Street
P.O Box 7136
Tel: +256 414 347 854
Deadline: 16th May 2023