Job Title: Senior Protection Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Vacancy Notice: Internal/ External Vacancy notice UNOPS 007/2021
Position Number: UNOPS/007/001
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Protection Assistant monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with national and international standards and provides functional protection support.
The Senior Protection Assistant provides quality, timely and effective protection support to persons of concern and identifies opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and safeguards in operational responses. He/she may liaise externally with local authorities and partners on protection issues as guided by the supervisor.
The Senior Protection Assistant also ensures that persons of concern are involved with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Conduct follow up on legal cases involving persons of concern to UNHCR and provide legal advice and suggest recommendation to supervisor.
- Conduct detention monitoring and provide update on situation of persons of concern in detention.
- Contribute to measures aimed at identifying, preventing and reducing statelessness.
- Conduct preliminary information gathering and interviews in support of eligibility, status determination, durable solutions and social needs assessment.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of SGBV and child protection.
- Monitor and report on cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for persons of concern in voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit / section.
- Follow up of cases referred from FRRM
- Attend the Interagency Case management meetings
- Attend/Join partner during out reaches including legal aid clinics and community sensitization.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Senior Protection Assistant job position should hold a High School Diploma or Bachelor or equivalent or higher Certificates and/or Licenses in Law, political science or related fields is required.
- Five years of relevant experience with 2-3 years of direct work experience with refugees is required.
- Fluency in English is required.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- UNHCR Learning Programmes, other training, additional languages is desirable.
- Field/HQs experience is desirable.
- Legal experience is an asset, especially with refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Good writing and analytical skills is desirable.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Analytical Thinking
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 10th June 2021