Job Title: Economic Recovery and Development Coordinator
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) and directly manages the ERD managers
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
Job Summary: The Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) Coordinator will coordinate and oversee the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of livelihoods, with major focus on the Re:Build project funded by IKEA Foundation, the anticipated Kulea Watoto project funded by the Hilton Foundation, and other current and future economic recovery programs. The ERD Coordinator will liaise with other technical coordinators within IRC (particularly to increase collaboration and integration of ERD programming within other sectors); fellow agency, government, private sector, and community partners, as well as the Livelihoods and Cash Working Groups within the interagency coordination structure; and with IRC’s headquarter-based Economic Recovery and Development Technical Advisor and Officers to ensure coordination and complementarily of programming, as well as appropriate technical rigor in project design and implementation. The ERD Coordinator is responsible for overall management of the livelihoods portfolio, providing any and all support necessary to ensure successful implementation of ERD livelihoods assistance programming and proposal development/project design for prospective projects, which includes/may include enterprise development and employment initiatives, cash/voucher programming, financial inclusion, value chain development, agro-pastoralism/rural livelihoods, climate sensitive livelihoods (climate change and natural resource management), vocational training/certification programs, and other activities.
Based in Kampala, the ERD Coordinator reports to the Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) and directly manages the ERD managers. This position has close working relationships with the other sectoral technical coordinators, Grants Coordinator, MEAL Coordinator, Program Coordinator for Quality and Learning, Partnerships Coordinator and members of the ERD Technical Unit.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Technical Quality and Program Development
- Ensure alignment of livelihoods programming with IRC global strategy plan and relevant theories of change
- Identify opportunities for growth of livelihoods programming portfolio including existing gaps/beneficiary needs and areas for innovation and expansion, including through market assessments
- Lead the development of livelihood/agriculture concept notes and proposals, working closely with the grants, MEAL and finance teams and relevant ERD technical advisor(s)
- Contribute to development of country office’s sector-relevant strategic direction and plans including ongoing development of livelihoods programming staffing and management structures
- Along with program staff and the Technical Unit/Advisors, support the development of Standard Operating Procedures and Guidance Notes for program activities
- Champion the use of cash programming, as appropriate, within the ERD and non-ERD sectors
- Ensure regular monitoring and modification of ongoing programming as required
- Advise and provide guidance to staff across other sectors on integrated programming inclusive of ERD activities
- Regularly engage with the ERD Technical Advisor and other Technical Unit Advisors and Specialists to benchmark programming to IRC standards and ensure application of best practices
Grant Planning and Monitoring
- Prepare relevant and quality IRC and donor reports as per agreed-upon schedules (monthly, quarterly and/or annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements
- Work closely and coordinate with IRC logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures; including active participation in procurement, supply chain, grant and other meetings. Has budget authority to pre-approved limits and responsibility for budget development and compliance under the direction of the DDP
- Provide direction and monitor staff in their implementation of Re:Build project workplans and quality of technical activities, including program budget oversight
- Ensure appropriate methodologies and technical approaches are developed for all Re:Build project activities – working with IRC’s ERD Technical Advisors, the Re:Build Project Director and Re:Build Deputy Project Director to ensure global best practices are applied to programming
- Provide support to the research teams while working closely with the Re:Build Project manager to ensure RCT activities remain on track
- Support the start-up of the anticipated Kulea Watoto project, including participation in the recruitment of key staff, development of key project management tools and oversight of the livelihoods interventions
Coordination and Representation
- Develop and maintain effective coordination and long-term relationships with external stakeholders including fellow agencies/NGOs, government departments and ministries, private sector, community-based organizations and partners, donors, and others in accurately and professionally representing IRC positions, promoting long-term strategies and resolving problems/conflicts
- Actively advance IRC’s connections to economic actors/private sector at a local, regional and national level, seeking avenues for partnership, collaboration and coordination of activities to ensure sustainability of interventions
- Oversee the IRC’s relationship with consortia implementing partners and support the identification of new partners as it relates to new programming
- Participate in IRC and external working groups and communities of practice around livelihoods to advance livelihoods strategies, disseminate research and program successes, discuss implementation challenges, and share best practices
- Support the sharing of information and learning across livelihoods-related programs based in Uganda and throughout the East Africa region
- Advocate for the adoption of best practices to promote economic resilience of IRC’s clients/target groups
Human Resources Management
- Provide technical direction and managerial oversight of livelihoods staff
- Set specific goals and expectations and provide regular, positive and constructive feedback to direct reports
- Build capacity of the team under his/her supervision in basic assistance and livelihoods support methodologies, as well as management capacity, both individually and through conducting/coordinating staff training exercises
- Help to recruit and screen livelihoods project staff as team grows
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions
- Ensure timely completion and submission of interim and annual employee performance reviews
- If/as required, identify staff performance issues and works with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the National Staff Employment Policies
- Responsible for adhering to IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures
- Undertake ERD program administrative roles that includes coordination of field activities
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- At least five years’ professional experience in humanitarian response, with specific experience in livelihoods and enterprise development approaches
- BA/BS Degree in international development, economics, and/or related certification required; MA/MS/MBA a plus
- Demonstrated private sector experience, or experience supporting business and skill development
- Prior experience working in emergency settings or insecure environments preferred
- Strong program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties
- INGO experience required; experience with coordination systems or advocacy preferable
- Must be capable of applying skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct implementation, advisory functions, training and the transfer of technical knowledge and management skills to others
- Experience advising teams and ensuring compliance with donor regulations.
- Ability to navigate interpersonal and inter-departmental organizational dynamics to keep focus on goals and products.
- Ability to handle administrative and operational pressures
- Excellent English writing/editing skills and comfort with external representation at a senior level are essential.
- Works well in and promotes teamwork.
- Highly developed leadership abilities, including the ability to coach, motivate, and support effective teams.
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills and eager to work as part of a diverse team. Sensitive to interpersonal differences and a range of viewpoints.
- Exceptional advance planning and organizational skills. Able to effectively prioritize and follow multiple activities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Analytical, strategic, and able to proactively develop solutions to complex challenges.
- Flexible and innovative. Able to adapt plans in response to contextual changes.
- Reliable, patient, and able to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 22nd August 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com