Job Title: Livelihoods Assistant (5 Job Opportunities)
Duty Station: Nakivale, Kyangwali, Oruchinga, Kyaka II & Rwamwanja, Uganda
Salary Scale: UGX 900,000 – 1,100,000
Reports to: Livelihoods Officer
ALIGHT, formerly the American Refugee Committee (ARC), is an international non-profit, non-sectarian organization that has provided humanitarian assistance and training to millions of beneficiaries over the last 40 years. In 2011, Alight helped nearly 2.5 million people get essential services to regain their health and take back control of their lives. Alight works with its partners and constituencies to provide opportunities and expertise to communities of refugees and internally displaced persons in seven countries in Africa, Asia and Europe, including Iraq, Kosovo, and in the Darfur region of Sudan and is currently providing for emergency relief and recovery in Haiti. Alight provides shelter, clean water and sanitation, health care, skills training, microcredit education, protection to help survivors of war and natural disasters to rebuild their lives with dignity, health care, security and self-sufficiency.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Livelihoods Officer, the Livelihoods Assistant will be responsible for providing support on all ALIGHT refugee and host community livelihoods sector activities. He/She will work hand in hand with the Livelihoods Officer ensuring that livelihoods activities are conducted as planned, present real and sustainable opportunities to refugees and host communities, and retain links to local and regional markets in a bid to increase sustainability and scalability of ALIGHT’s livelihoods activities, particularly business development and promotion. This role’s deliverables will support the Livelihood Officer in the development and implementation of joint host-community-refugee community livelihoods programming.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Livelihood Intervention development and implementation
- Support the Livelihood Officer in the development and implementation of livelihood interventions spanning across agricultural practices, VSLA, business development and management, cash-based interventions and ALIGHT’s safe riders
- Support the Livelihood Officer with the processes by which livelihoods groups develop viable business, savings, and expenses plans, with heavy focus on integration of livelihoods activities in local markets, both refugee and host community, and, where relevant, regional markets
- Support the Livelihood Officer in ensuring the consultation with community-level leadership, that livelihoods activities slated for implementation are culturally relevant, effective, and reflective of community-level planning for livelihoods promotion
Monitoring, reporting and evaluating livelihood interventions:
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of livelihoods activities planning and implementation, with a focus on identification of potential markets for livelihoods beneficiaries and the regular and active monitoring of livelihoods group income level, savings plans, and reinvestment planning to promote business growth and increased income for beneficiaries
- Support in the development and implementation of livelihoods assessments, rapid surveys, and provide insight on opportunities for livelihoods promotion which reflect local capacities, resources, and aspirations of beneficiaries
Reporting and Accountability
- Assist the Livelihoods Officer by monitoring the use of materials provided to livelihoods beneficiaries, and ensure via frequent site visits the proper application of livelihoods implements by beneficiaries
- Support the Livelihoods Officer in the quality monthly progress reports for submission to donors and stakeholders, with an emphasis on concise quality reporting of both challenges and achievements within the sector works
- Support the Livelihoods Officer in ensuring that financial team requirements for livelihood activities are completed as required.
- Support the Livelihoods Officer in livelihoods proposal development and partnership establishment/maintenance
- Support the Livelihoods Officer in participating in livelihoods working groups / coordination groups at settlement level
- Perform any other professional duties assigned, as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Community or Rural Development, Agricultural Development, Business, or related field.
- Three (3) years of working experience in Livelihoods programming.
- Specific experience in micro-enterprise development, market-oriented livelihoods promotion, and other innovative approached to humanitarian livelihoods service delivery is an advantage
- Experience in project report writing.
- Knowledge in tracking relevant livelihoods indicators in real time to enable achievement of livelihoods activities
- Experience working with the forming and monitoring of livelihoods groups and activities is essential;
- Knowledge of VSLA, SACCO, and other savings and loan models is essential;
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English.
- Language skills of populations ALIGHT serves and surrounding host communities is extremely beneficial (e.g. Kiswahili, Luo, Nuer, Kinyarwanda, Somali, etc.)
- Must have Motorbike riding experience with a valid permit.
- Strong analytical, written and verbal skills;
- High level of integrity, accountability and responsibility;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability and inclination to work in / with teams;
- High level of self-drive, discipline and desire to achieve;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, hit deadlines, and produce high-quality outputs.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 16th August 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com